How to change default WM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scissorband, Sep 19, 2010.

1. scissorband macrumors member

Is there a way to replace Aqua/Quartz as the default bootup desktop environment and instead start X with a window manager of my choice? I made an .xinitrc but not sure how to stop Aqua/Quartz from starting at bootup and replace it with X and my window manager.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

3. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

Yes. I have absolutely no use for the dock thing at the bottom, nor the menu bar. I'm not very comfortable with the behavior of it either. I have a favorite WM that I always use and am used to that, so if it's possible I'd like that. But in OS X, the graphics managing seemed to be handled a bit differently...my research says Aqua and quartz-wm are two separate things...Aqua being the lowest layer, then X11 running along quartz-wm. I don't quite understand this method, though...or maybe I have misinterpreted?

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

Well, you can certainly run an X11 window manager other than quartz-wm. And you could have X11 open at login in full-screen mode with the menubar hidden. I still suggest you ask at the X11-users forum.

5. scissorband thread starter macrumors member

I did e-mail the list a few minutes ago. Maybe I can get some responses here as well as e-mail.

I just thought it'd be more optimal to disable (or remove) Aqua/quartz entirely to save resources and maybe my WM and everything running on it more smoothly. I don't use the desktop or applications like iTunes and stuff, so yea.

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Sounds like you should just install linux and give up on OS X. :)