Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webazoid

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Is there a way to change dpi to about 125% as in windows? I have mbp 13 and text is really small.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Is there a way to change dpi to about 125% as in windows? I have mbp 13 and text is really small.
No there is no way of doing this in OSX. This is a severe product deficiency, and one that should have been rectified years ago. It's very pathetic of Apple not to implement this. Linux and Windows both have scalable system fonts, and both of them have had it for many many years. Mac OSX does not have it.

The only way to increase the size of the system fonts is to lower your screen resolution. A stupid "solution", but it's all we have until the lazy bums at Apple get off their collective arses and fix this. :mad:

I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my 1080p television. The Mac Mini supports 1080p. And yet, I have to reduce the resolution to only 720p in order to read the fonts. At 1080p, I cannot read the fonts from my couch. How retarded is that? Why can't I just increase the size of the fonts? Come on Apple, is that really so much to ask??? With all the super-high resolution displays sold today, this software feature is way way way overdue.

Last edited:

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I don't recognize that second link. I don't think I'll use it. Thanks anyhow.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Just to report back, I installed Tinker Tool, set every single font to 24 pt size, and then rebooted.

No change.

The menu bar across the top of the screen is still the same. Most applications are still the same, with very few exceptions. The Desktop icons and font are still the same. Finder icons and font are still the same.

This sucks. :mad: Apple needs to fix this crap.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Yea, the tinkertool solution is definitely not optimal. I know it did not have a way to modify the menu bar font.

Within applications, many can change the scaling within themselves. With Safari, I just do the pinch to zoom. With M$ Office, I think all the apps have a scaling factor for the view. With terminal, it's cmd-shift-plus, cmd-shift-minus

Yea, I do wish they had a better solution too.

krischik

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
Thanks

Tinker tool will allow you to change system fonts.

Worked great and was desperately needs as Mavericks seem to have shrunk the fonts even more. So double thanks. If I had only knows of Tinker Tool earlier.

what is that? some kind of 3rd party program?

As others already pointed out: You could just Google it. It takes actually less time and less key strokes to google it then to write a question here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.