How to change drives without backing up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bender o, Mar 2, 2011.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi guys, I've searched for this but I can't seem to find an exact answer to my question, I know there are a lot of options to backup your drive on snow leopard but I want to do something else. I bought a new 500Gb HDD for my macbook pro which I want to use with Snow Leopard and also a partition for Lion, what I wanted to know is if there was a way to transfer my old files "automatically" from my old hard drive if I connect it with a USB enclosure :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy, or Migration or Setup Assistant to transfer the data you want upon first startup of the newly installed OS.

Other than that, I don't now of any automagic way. YOu need to lay hands on the process of transferring data yourself.

If you are still not sure: MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a similar problem. I bought one of the new Macbook Pros, and I need to transfer my data. The problem is that Time Machine and other backup programs seem to make a copy of your entire HDD. I didn't want 3 years of crap coming with my new computer, so I just painstakingly made a copy of each file inside a new folder.

4. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

Great thanks to you all :D man I love this forum :D