How to change Email Address

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 420benz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. 420benz macrumors 6502

420benz

I have tried to do this for days now with no good results. I need good info for Dummies.We have an ipad,imac and a Macbook. Thanks

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Please elaborate, what are you trying to do? It's possible to change the email address that acts as your Apple ID (e.g. start using your Gmail account instead of your Outlook account to sign in to iCloud or iTunes etc), but it's usually impossible to change the spelling of your email address (e.g. from "420benz@gmail.com" to "420blazeit@gmail.com")

3. 420benz, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Unfortunately the email address itself is the unique identifier, just like your phone number, so changing it would mean you'd have to tell everyone your new address before they could contact you again. As changing the address and telling everyone is pretty much equal to creating a new account with a new address, Gmail's solution is that you sign up for a new address, then transfer you emails and contacts. There's no way of "changing" an address.

Also, it's umm.. not clever?.. to wave your email address around on the web - there are bots constantly scanning for addresses to be targeted with spam. I'd suggest that you edit the comment.