Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
So I know the new iPhone X has the new eSIM and as a result you can't easily switch phones by just swapping out a normal SIM card like before. My question is how do you disassociate a phone number or account from these new iPhones?

Last edited:

anthonybyrd827

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
So I know the new iPhone X has the new eSIM and as a result you can't easily switch phones by just swapping out a normal SIM card like before. My question is how do you dissaccociate a phone number or account from these new iPhones?
Most phones come with a sim now. So just activate the new sim to your number. After that the old one no longer works

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Most phones come with a sim now. So just activate the new sim to your number. After that the old one no longer works
Yes but from my understanding the new iPhone has an electronic SIM and as a result I don't think they have a SIM door and an easily switchable card like most other phones, unfortunately.

anthonybyrd827

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Yes but from my understanding the new iPhone has an electronic SIM and as a result I don't think they have a SIM door and an easily switchable card like most other phones, unfortunately.
That's so true didn't think about that. So I'm sure they'll have to do it. Either in person or customer service

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

They still have a sim door and process can be exactly the same as before. You don't have to use eSim.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow. I could have sworn i read somewhere that it and the new watch both had the eSIM. Well cool. So it'll function just like any other iPhone wherein you can just remove the SIM and put in a different one from a different carrier (if desired)?

anthonybyrd827

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Oh wow. I could have sworn i read somewhere that it and the new watch both had the eSIM. Well cool. So it'll function just like any other iPhone wherein you can just remove the SIM and put in a different one from a different carrier (if desired)?
The watch for sure yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.