How to change file name every time a script is run?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by celticpride678, Jan 17, 2010.

1. celticpride678

I am trying to setup a script where a screenshot is performed. However, every single time the script is run, the file name is the same, not allowing it to save. How can I change file name every time the script is run? Thanks

Current Script: do shell script "screencapture -i -s -tjpeg ~/Desktop/1.jpg"

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Any particular reason you're forcing the script to require you to interact with the screen capture?

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

You need to define a variable and then use it as your filename:

CAPTURE_FILE_NAME=`date "+%Y_%m_%d_%H%M.jpg"`
    /usr/sbin/screencapture ~/Desktop/$CAPTURE_FILE_NAME

Should work. Feel free to remove /usr/sbin/...it should still work without it.

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I am getting a "Expected expression found but found unknown token" message on the symbol, '

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Are you getting the error punching the lines into Terminal, or from AppleScript? It looks like AS is burping on the quote marks. I believe this works:

Code:
    set littleBit to quote & "+%Y_%m_%d_%H%M.jpg" & quote

set biggerBit to "CAPTURE_FILE_NAME=`date " & littleBit & "`; /usr/sbin/screencapture ~/Desktop/$CAPTURE_FILE_NAME"

do shell script biggerBit
    mt

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

It is working, but not changing the file name still. It uses the same file name, but changes the screenshot taken. I am using AppleScript

7. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

What do you want the screenshots to be named?

The script should provide different names, if only because one second passes between each screen shot. But if you want a different name, we'll work on that.

Also, your original script seemed to do command-shift-4, where you can select a region of the screen for the screen shot. My script, based on Zyniker's, does a simpler, command-shift-3. Do you want a specific region or the whole screen?

mt

8. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I'd be OK with the date and time of the screenshot as the name. I would like a different name. I'd also like a specific region (but if needed, I can code that part). Thanks for the help so far.

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This might be more what you're after.

Code:
    set any_old_string to the text returned of (display dialog "Please enter any old string for me" default answer "" default button 2)

set littleBit to quote & any_old_string & ".jpg" & quote

set biggerBit to "/usr/sbin/screencapture ~/Desktop/" & littleBit

do shell script biggerBit
    The display dialog line is merely to provide a string. You can create one in your script, maybe through a repeat loop or some other way, put quotes around it then pass it to "screencapture" with a proper path.

mt

10. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Thanks for all the help.