How to change file thumbnail in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Miltz, May 11, 2017.

1. Miltz macrumors 6502a

I've searched all over the internet and I can't find a solution that works. Basically after I finish editing my movie in iMovie and save the file, the program automatically picks an image from the video to display as a thumbnail and it looks terrible. How can I change which thumbnail iMovie decides to use? Thank you.

2. ColdCase, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

ColdCase macrumors 68030

You are talking about what are called poster frames? You can pick poster frames with QT pro, iTunes, or MPEG stream clip I think.

Also can be done on share/export in some versions of iMovie see this:

Later versions don't work, but for youtube you could do something like this:

3. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I saw both of the videos already. The first video works with only old versions of iMovie and in the second video I don't share these videos on Youtube so it doesn't help.

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    If your goal is to have something that looks better on an :apple:TV screen, I suggest using MetaZ, Subler or a variety of other such tools and basically make your own poster. I usually shoot a few good photographs of anything I video and then use the photos to build an attractive poster. MetaZ, Subler or similar also lets me tag each video with description, dates, etc too.

I'm not sure that that is your objective here but if so, that's the way I'd do it if I was you.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yeah, artwork can be added to the meta data by Stubler. iTunes uses that as the poster, dunno what other apps do with artwork in the metadata.

6. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called Apple, They literally have no idea... I'm shocked.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2017 ---
    OMG thank you for this. Now I can give my client the finished video.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The poster frame feature was dropped even from FCP. Plenty of complaining. But subler works very well for this kind of things. I've been using it for years to tag videos with a number of things.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I just noticed that the current version of compressor can set the poster frame.