Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
I'm getting my friend some new hubcaps for her car for her birthday.

Uhh, I measured her rims, I know what size, and I've gotten them already.

but I HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW TO PUT THEM ON!

So, I come to you, MR (the only internets forum I post on.), to ask you how to change hubcaps!

My other friend and I will be going over at 11 or so to change them, and if need be, I can take my dad.. but he's not a car dude. He's more of a neurobiologist...
Dr. Kt's dad, Ph.D. , professor of neurobiology.
(read: not car guy)

any tips? How do I actually do this?
It's a 1997 Ford Taurus if that helps.
Thanks! :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Hub caps are usually attached by a pressured wire ring or clips - all you have to do is pry the old ones off and snap on the new ones.

The only issue is how much pressure you need to apply :D

D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Rubber mallet works best.

Take along a BIIGG screwdriver or a prybar of some type to pop the old ones off.

Put new one on by hand, then use rubber mallet to moderately bang it around the circumference so that it goes onto the wheel evenly and the springs all around engage the rim. If you bang it too hard on one side, the opposite side will pop up, which is undesirable. You have to kind of sneak up on it by seating it a little at a time all around.

Lacking a rubber mallet you can get it on by kicking judiciously, but it's harder and looks funny that way.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
So I just need a crowbar?

No screwdrivers or special
uhhh
car things?

and to put them on a big rubber mallet?

I'm the stereotypical woman driver... I have no idea of how anything works. I have AAA on my cellphone, so it's OK. :p

Canada RAM said:
Lacking a rubber mallet you can get it on by kicking judiciously, but it's harder and looks funny that way.
That's my style.
Lookin' funny.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yep, just pry them off with a screwdriver or something. When you put the new ones on, make sure that you don't cover up the air valve (I speak from experience :rolleyes: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.