How to change icab icon?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by newdeal, Jun 6, 2010.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

I downloaded icab and I love the browser. It replaced safari in my dock but I have the ugly icon. Is there any jailbreak software I can use to change it?

2. jbouklas macrumors regular

I was wondering the same thing- it's kind of ugly, and it's my main browser, sitting right there on my dock...

3. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Switch to A1 Perfect Browser with its beautiful blue planet on a green backdrop? Lol

Seriously, I've been wondering this too because there are a few ugly ones I wanna change. I found a blank icon template on Google but the edge was clipped.

4. stor macrumors newbie

5. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

Not really important to me anymore. I switched back to safari. The downloads feature and some of the other features were nice but it didn't render all pages correctly and safari seems to do a better job with that and also when entering text often the cursor would be invisible which makes it very hard to go forward and backwards. I also noticed for some reason icab didn't seem to do as well with the auto spelling correct as safari does, many wrong words entered and also many spelling mistakes missed. Not sure why that is because i would imagine it would use the same spell checker as safari but it just seemed to not work as well. I will still use icab occasionally but i am back to safari

6. jbouklas macrumors regular

Once I discovered AtomicWeb, I left Safari and never looked back. Then I downloaded iCab, and the interface is just so much cleaner that I've been using it as my default for the last few weeks.

I need tabs, and the way Safari handles them isn't good enough for me. Other than that, it isn't bad, per se.

7. atr macrumors regular

I use iFile to access the file structure on my iPad, you can use any SSH application of your choice.

To change the iCab icon you need to select the icon that you want to use and name it "Icon-iPad.png". I just took a copy of the Safari icon and renamed it to work for iCab.

Then go to:
    /var/mobile/Applications/iCabMobile/iCabMobile.app/

and paste the new icon there. (The old icon is already in there so you can just "replace" it if you like, I usually just add an "x" to the end of the old icon and leave it there just in case I ever want to switch back to it later)

Once you have done this you will need to respring or reboot your iPad and then the new icon should show up.

8. newdeal thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok so where do I find the safari icon? Also is it unusual that file reports my application folders all as a string of letters and numbers. I had to go through each one to find the one cab was in because of the long labels that are just letters and numbers

9. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Off topic a bit But where do you change the pop up blocker? There are a couple sites I don't want blocked but don't know how to change it. Thanks.

10. atr macrumors regular

If you're using iFile then go into iFiles settings and turn on "Application Names".

The Safari icon can be found in this directory:

/Applications/MobileSafari.app/icon-72.png

While in the directory hit "Edit", then check the file (icon-72.png) and go down to the right corner - touch the small box with upward arrow, select copy. Move back to the iCab directory and hit the same button in bottom right and select paste. Then change the name to Icon-iPad.png.