How to change iCloud login from non-iCloud.com to iCloud.com email?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by striders, Jun 23, 2015.

1. striders macrumors 6502

I had an iCloud account long before Apple implemented @icloud.com services, including emails. I created this account using a non@icloud.com email address. I.e. something@yahoo.com, blah@outlook.com, etc.

I did create an @icloud.com email address.

I now want to change the login to that something@icloud.com, but it won't let me. Is there a way to do this?

2. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Actually, just use your iCloud email as your login without changing anything, it should work. What you probably can't do is change your primary email address but it doesn't effect the iCloud logon page.

3. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

I can login with my iCloud email, but I do want to change my primary email address. Right now everything from Apple get sent to the non iCloud email address. I.e. iTunes receipts, security notification, etc.

I am hoping I can consolidate everything to iCloud and not use the non-iCloud email address.

4. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Yep. You, me and millions of others. It's not possible.

5. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, OK. I hope Apple will change this in the near future.

6. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

If there was some technical limitation with changing the address at all, I think we could all be patient for that feature. However it is possible to change it to another non apple address but they specifically put a block on using your own iCloud address as the primary address since mobile me circa 2009 and no sign of that changing.

7. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

Apple's reasoning is that technically your Apple ID and your iCloud account are two different Apple ID's which are linked to each other. So changing your Apple ID to your iCloud email would require *merging* two Apple ID's, which is something Apple definitely does not support.

8. zOne31 macrumors regular

I have a Gmail which is also my AppleID and I have it set up to forward all email from Apple (updates of new items, iTunes, security, etc.) to my iCloud email. There should be an option to forward all those emails to your iCloud email so you can just check your iCloud account in Mail or a similar app.

I recently moved everything from Google to iCloud but obviously need to keep my Gmail as my AppleID.

9. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

That's an excellent idea! I shall do that.

I also have another Gmail account that I am trying to retire, but still receive some emails. If I forward the email from Gmail to iCloud, received that forwarded email and responded back, will it come from Gmail or iCloud?

10. zOne31 macrumors regular

Suppose a friend sent you an email. You set up Gmail forwarding to your iCloud account. If you right-click on the "To" name, it will show you which address your friend sent it to. If you only have iCloud email set up, replies will be from your iCloud email.

Edit:

I also took it two extra steps.
    1) I changed all my login email/contact to my iCloud email.
    2) I added my Gmail account to Mail app and copied over any mail I wanted to reference from Gmail to iCloud. It took a while since I've had that email for like 8 years but if you're serious about making the switch to iCloud, I would take the time to do so. Just remember, emails count as part of your iCloud storage.