Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I have been curious to play Second Life, I have seen it so many times at the news that I am dead curious.

But for some reason it tells me that they have the right to limit the accounts they offer to each individual.
I have used different e-mails and the problem continuos.

So how can I change my IP address?

Thanks,

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I have been curious to play Second Life, I have seen it so many times at the news that I am dead curious.

But for some reason it tells me that they have the right to limit the accounts they offer to each individual.
I have used different e-mails and the problem continuos.

So how can I change my IP address?

Thanks,

Well generally ISPs assign the IP by DHCP which is dynamic however they generally set it up so it won't change unless they do some changes to there system. There is some things you can try, and that only applies if its not a static IP in which case your only option is talking to your ISP.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Well generally ISPs assign the IP by DHCP which is dynamic however they generally set it up so it won't change unless they do some changes to there system. There is some things you can try, and that only applies if its not a static IP in which case your only option is talking to your ISP.

I know it is not static. When I had a Windows laptop I was able to change it. But I have no idea how to make this on OS X.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I know it is not static. When I had a Windows laptop I was able to change it. But I have no idea how to make this on OS X.

How did you go about changing it? Now also are talking external or internal IP? To change IPs you go into system preferences then networking then you can do the same stuff as you can on windows. However i don't think that will get what you want. Do you have a router in between you and the internet?

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
How did you go about changing it? Now also are talking external or internal IP? To change IPs you go into system preferences then networking then you can do the same stuff as you can on windows. However i don't think that will get what you want. Do you have a router in between you and the internet?

I followed instructions that I found in google.

Internal and external?:confused:

Yes, I have a wireless modem (router).

If I change it in windows (using bootcamp) would it also change in OS X?

Thanks a lot for the help

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I followed instructions that I found in google.

Internal and external?:confused:

Yes, I have a wireless modem (router).
An internal IP is when that is assigned by your router. It just allows you to use 1 external IP and have as many computers as you want using that one IP. Your going to want to change your external. Which means you need to get the router to changes its IP this has nothing to do with OS X.
If I change it in windows (using bootcamp) would it also change in OS X?

Thanks a lot for the help

Since you want to change it on the router windows vs os x shouldn't affect anything. Your going to want to log into the router and from that point either change your MAC address (if your router supports it) or possible try rebooting the router. This is something that has no sure fire way to do it.

JNB

macrumors 604
The IP address your ISP dynamically assigns to your account, which is then used by the router, is the WAN IP, seen to the "world". These change, but very seldom. If you want a static, or fixed, IP, you must specfically order one and usually pay extra for it.

The IP of your Mac (or PC, or Linux box, whatever) is assigned by the router (most likely 192.168.x.x). This is the LAN IP, seen only "inside" the router, invisible to the outside world.

So, to the Linden Labs servers, it doesn't matter what machine you connect from or what you change its IP to, because they always see the same IP - the one reported by your router.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
So, to the Linden Labs servers, it doesn't matter what machine you connect from or what you change its IP to, because they always see the same IP - the one reported by your router.

So this means I'll never be able to make an account there?:(

Not that I am into that kind of things, but my curiosity is growing each day I see the news and I see something about this game.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

Not that I am into that kind of things, but my curiosity is growing each day I see the news and I see something about this game.

Well to start things off i would email there support with your IP address often people will unblock that IP if you request it.

JNB

macrumors 604

This begs the question, have you signed up previously for a look around? More than once, maybe? If you have, then you should just go about retrieving your previous account/login info and go "regular".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.