How to change JPEG size in Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fcortese, Oct 4, 2010.

1. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Here's my problem. A friend, who does a lot of photography (uses PS), uses Mpix for his picture printing-mainly larger wall pictures. Anyway, I was trying to upload one of my pictures for a 20x30 picture and the dimensions of the jpeg are 2376x1584. For a 20x30 it needs to be 2000x3000. So how do I change that? If there is another more Aperture-friendly printing site, I willing to give it a try. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I did an MRoogle search and found a thread talking about A2 but it did not appear to be exactly waht my situation is.

2. toxic macrumors 68000

export at full size as 8-bit TIFF/PSD, upsize in PS using bicubic smoother, sharpen if necessary, save as Jpg.

3. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

So I now have to buy PS?

4. toxic macrumors 68000

you can use GIMP instead, then.

have you tried exporting to fit in 3000 pixels (make a new export preset)? I don't have my computer atm, so I can't try it myself.

5. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

No. but which setting do I use-PSD16 bit Original size? And does it matter whether it is the master file or a version? Thanks for the tip on GIMP. I'll look into that.

6. toxic macrumors 68000

export the original size.

exporting the master exports the RAW file. you want the version.

7. F-six macrumors member

Why don't you use Graphic Converter?

Export jpg, open the picture in Graphic Converter, under 'image' go to 'size'. Set the amount of pixels you want, save, and you are done.

:)

8. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

thanks for all of the help. I think I may have figured out the solution. I created two new export files-one for a 30x20 horizontal picture and one for a 20x30 vertical picture. I increased the image quality to 12 and increased the dpi to 133. With the LJPEG size of the original photo there should be ample pixels to do these adjustments and not loose the quality in the image. I am going to do a zoom check of the photo looking for any dust spots, etc and correct them before I send the picture in for processing. I'll let everyone know in a week or so when the pictures come in how it worked.

9. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I just got my enlargement (30x20) back from Mpix and they look great. For those of you who are experienced with Aperture 3 then this is probably meaningless to you. But for those of us who are new, it might be helpful info. I needed to get a picture with 2000x3000 pixels created in order for the picture not to look blurry. The "JPeg-complete" that is saved routinely in A3 does not meet these dimensions and if enlarged would be blurry Plus the Image Quality is set at 10 and the dpi at 72. since my image was a horizontal picture I right clicked on the picture, clicked on Export>Version and hit the drop down menu and clicked on Edit. I hit the "+" and created a new file. In this case I named it "20x30H" (I created another one 20x30V for vertical). On the "Size To" bar drop down menu I chose "Fit Within (Pixels)" and typed in 3000 for width and 2000 for height (I obviously did the opposite for my vertical file). I did this rather than use inches because when I tried that the image sent was still inadequate for a 20x30 print-it did not have enough pixels. I slid the Image Quality bar all the way to 12 and changed the dpi to 133. Now if I want to have a 20x30 print done I have my export parameters already set and ready to go. The pictures came out fabulous and I am a very happy camper. So if this helps anyone else in a similar situation then I am glad. In this case I was using an on line printing service-in this case Mpix. If you are using any others you may want to check on their particular requirements for the varying size enlargements and create your own special export for that particular service. Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, don't forget to check your picture for any defects, dust spots, etc. Go to full image (type "f"), then Zoom (z), then look over the entire picture. if you see a defect bring up the Retouch tool (x) and make the correction. This is a very important step if you a making a significant enlargement.

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Thanks. This led me to poking around in my Aperture/Presets. I was able to add one to export my jpegs as 96 dpi at 800 X 1200, which is what I use to post with. Slick.

Dale

11. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

cool. Glad this novice was able to help!:D

12. fcortese thread starter macrumors demi-god

fcortese

As the OP, I am wondering what your response has to do with my original question and the thread. I must be missing something.