How to change MAC Address of my Airport card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luvTN, Jun 21, 2007.

1. luvTN macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I need to change my MAC Address. Anyone knows how to change it? Thank a lot :).

2. luvTN thread starter macrumors newbie

3. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

you cant change your mac addy its burned into the chip, all mac addresses are unique, short of getting a new card you cant.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Most drivers allow you to change the mac address of the network adapter, on the windows side of things at least. It's true that the mac address is burned into the hardware device and you can't change the actual address burned into the chip, but the driver can allow you to override it with another address.

Just because you don't know how to do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

6. luvTN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I also found this page, but I also noticed this

So what I am asking is anyone knows the command to change Mac addy?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

8. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

You can do it with the ifconfig command in the the Terminal.
    According to the ifconfig man page (type man ifconfig to get to it):

That means that to set the MAC address you'll need to type something like:

Code:
    ifconfig en1 lladdr AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
    In my Powerbook, the Airport adapter is called en1. You can check your configuration by typing:

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    And Good luck!

9. luvTN thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked with the Ethernet card, but still cannot change Mac addy for Airport card :(

Thank you anyway

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

you could sell your airport card and buy another one.

11. clicq macrumors member

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that if you run the ifconfig command again to display the MAC address that it remains unchanged? Or do you mean that it does not allow you to join the wireless network?

On my machine (Macbook C2D), the command changes my MAC address, as listed in ifconfig, and prevents me from connecting to my access point (MAC address control).

12. luvTN thread starter macrumors newbie

It still displays the old MAC Address when I run the ifconfig...

13. clicq macrumors member

What machine do you have? I've only done this on my rev B Macbook, but I don't think it's specific to any model...

So just to be clear, you're using the command posted by flopticalcube and jalagl, with your interface name of the airport substituted in, and the desired MAC address? As in:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig en1 ether 00:01:02:03:05:06
    If that's not working, and you're not getting any errors, then I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

Oh and it's not permanent -- it resets after a reboot...

14. reccenav macrumors newbie

How to change MAC of airport card

I know this is old thread. Changing MAC use to work. Now doesn't. I am researching, but figured I would see if anyone had already resolved the issue

I get error trying to connect to a wireless network. I went to Network Preferences and selected Airport. Then clicked on the Advanced button on bottom right. There is a tab on the top far right. When I clicked on that the page shows my original MAC address as being known to the Airport card. This would explain the errors. Apparently the MAC that the systems boots with is stored in a configuration file on startup. So when you manually change the MAC you now have a conflict.

I know this is relatively new issue. It has been a while since I needed to change the MAC to do some penetration testing as a consultant. I do know that the last time I had to manually make change was before I updated to Snow Leopard, and it may have been before I upgraded to Leopard. I don't know for sure. So I am digging into the configuration files trying to find where this is stored.

15. t0rus macrumors newbie

change mac address

to change mac address on an airport card you will need this little note:
    there's an app sitting well-hidden in
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport

(yup, need to
    sudo ln -s /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport /sbin/airport
    )

simply go to that folder and do this:
    ./airport -z
    THEN do your
    sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr....

16. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Sorry to rehash an old thread guys but i just had to do this, i finally figured out that if you turn ON airport, but make sure it's not connected to a network then go into terminal and enter...

sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr (mac address)

...it also works. I had to fiddle with it for a while to figure that one out, but it worked like a charm.

17. BillyTheKid macrumors newbie

With MacSpoofer (freeware) you can easily change the mac address of the Airport card. Download it from www.macspoofer.com :)

18. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Cheat! :p:D

19. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

nice one, defo gonna get that