How to change me default movie folder??

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
Hey,

OK, let's see if I can explain this :eek: .

I want to change me default movie folder from the the default position in my user folder onto my newly bought hard disk.

Is there any way of doing this??

Thanks.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sure..

Move the folder and leave an alias in it's place..

But be prepared for minor chaos to ensue if the external isn't there when the Finder attempts to access the alias.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
yellow said:
Sure..

Move the folder and leave an alias in it's place..

But be prepared for minor chaos to ensue if the external isn't there when the Finder attempts to access the alias.
Why? What'll happen?? :S

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The sky will burn. The seas will boil. Foul brimstone smoke will pour out of your Mac. The Spirit of Steve Jobs will come to you in a dream and admit that Windows is a superior product. Your cat will poo on your pillow.

Or..

The Finder will thrash until it times out because the volume isn't found. (read: the beachball of Death for a long time)

And/Or..

The alias will be "broken" and the Finder will splat a message to that effect.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
yellow said:
The sky will burn. The seas will boil. Foul brimstone smoke will pour out of your Mac. The Spirit of Steve Jobs will come to you in a dream and admit that Windows is a superior product. Your cat will poo on your pillow.

Or..

The Finder will thrash until it times out because the volume isn't found. (read: the beachball of Death for a long time)

And/Or..

The alias will be "broken" and the Finder will splat a message to that effect.
Hmmm...doesn't sound fun.

Basically, all I want is to put a shortcut to the folder in my dock. However, I want the icon with the movie picture in the folder, rather than the plain old folder icon.

Any ideas on how to get this???

jens1245

Aug 20, 2009
Open up a terminal
sudo rm -r /folder/location
type administrator password
Replace folder with alias.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.