How to change "Microsoft HD" and "Untitled" icons?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr. Rosenpenis, May 12, 2011.

1. Dr. Rosenpenis macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I am new to Macs, and I just installed Windows 7 on my MBP via Bootcamp. I notice that when holding down the alt key to get to the menu where you either choose to run Windows or OS X, the icons are the same silver-looking box things. It would be really cool if you could change the icons (their respective logos, for example - a silver apple for the Mac HD and a Windows logo for the "Untitled" Windows partition.

The last post like this was from 2006! I would also wish to be able to change the "Untitled" for what represents my windows partition when I am in OS X. I heard some people desiring to unmount this partition altogether, and that sounds really harsh. What is unmounting?

I am not sure why this "Untitled" is on my OS X desktop anyway. I suppose it serves as a way to look at what files you have in your Windows partition when in OS X?

Thank you for anyone who replies!

2. GGJstudios, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the icons for the disks at the boot menu. Not without something like rEFIt anyways.

Unmounting simply "virtually" ejects the drive, so you don't see it/can't use it.

You can change the name of the "Untitled" drive in Windows, by opening up "Computer", right clicking on "Local Disk C" and clicking rename. OS X will then show the desired name. E.g. Windows HD.