How to change my Apple ID?

Sean52391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Houston, TX
Ok so I established my Apple ID back when i was like 16 (21 now) and I would like to change it to a different email address. Is this possible?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You will need to speak to Apples Itunes support team, and jump through some security hoops, but yes:

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Click on the itunes support tab at the bottom right and go from there.
There's no need to talk to anyone in Apple support. You can change your email, etc. online quite easily. Just click to manage your account, then click Edit by the email address.

Sean52391

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Houston, TX
There's no need to talk to anyone in Apple support. You can change your email, etc. online quite easily. Just click to manage your account, then click Edit by the email address.

Thanks for that! New issue: i cant set my new Apple ID as my "rescue email" so should i change my rescue email, or change my AID to my iCloud username? If i do that, they say I can never change it lol

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
After that Wired article about how easily the author's Apple ID was compromised I believe they have made it more difficult to do over the phone. At least I hope they have.

And not to hijack, but have they come up with a way to merge IDs?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And not to hijack, but have they come up with a way to merge IDs?
No, they haven't.

Apple IDs and iCloud
Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one?

You cannot merge two or more Apple IDs into a single one. You can, however, use one Apple ID for iCloud services and another Apple ID for store purchases (including iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match). See “Using one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store Purchases” above for details.