Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I've recently started using Camino as my main browser, and wanted to know how to set it as the default browser instead of Safari, so when I open links, bookmarks etc, they open in Camino.

Thanks for any help

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
For some strange reason, Apple decided to put the default browser setting in the browser (in this case, in Safari's preferences, under General) instead of in System Preferences (which I think makes more sense for this sort of thing).

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I agree, this is a weird place for it to be. And I've always wondered... how would you do it if you deleted Safari?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
cooknwitha said:
I agree, this is a weird place for it to be. And I've always wondered... how would you do it if you deleted Safari?
1)Apple did this to force you open Safari even if it is for just one time. They want you to see it before you reject it.
2)You must not throw into the trash applications like safari or preview

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
solaris said:
Latest Camino Trunk build (0.9a1) have its own "Default web browser" setting in Preferences. :p

And in fact, as long as you don't mind the (very) occasional crash, I highly suggest downloading the latest nightly instead of the latest release version. If you think the latest release version is good, just see the nightlies! :cool:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
solaris said:
Latest Camino Trunk build (0.9a1) have its own "Default web browser" setting in Preferences. :p
As do other browsers. The notion that Apple is forcing anyone to do anything is just plain silly. Currently, I have eleven (11) MacOS X-native browsers on my computer. I can use any one that I want anytime that I want.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
MisterMe said:
As do other browsers. The notion that Apple is forcing anyone to do anything is just plain silly. Currently, I have eleven (11) MacOS X-native browsers on my computer. I can use any one that I want anytime that I want.

Eleven? Ok: Safari, Camino, Firefox, Mozilla, iCab, Shiira (sp?), IE (yuk). I'm not sure I can even think of any others, and that's only 7. What are the other four?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
stridey said:
Eleven? Ok: Safari, Camino, Firefox, Mozilla, iCab, Shiira (sp?), IE (yuk). I'm not sure I can even think of any others, and that's only 7. What are the other four?
Duff-Man says...uhhh...OmniWeb, Opera, SunRise...might be three of them...oh yeah!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
stridey said:
In addition to your seven, I also have OmniWeb 5.1 and OmniWeb 5.1.1b2 (How can you forget this venerable browser from NeXTstep?), Netscape 7.2, SunriseBrowser (like Safari and Shiira, based on WebKit), and Opera. Oops! I made a mistake--I have twelve (12) browsers.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
MisterMe said:
In addition to your seven, I also have OmniWeb 5.1 and OmniWeb 5.1.1b2 (How can you forget this venerable browser from NeXTstep?), Netscape 7.2, SunriseBrowser (like Safari and Shiira, based on WebKit), and Opera. Oops! I made a mistake--I have twelve (12) browsers.

Right. Forgetting OmniWeb was silly (although not counting it twice was understandable). As for Netscape, I assumed it was outmoded enough that you wouldn't have it. SunriseBrowser, eh? Never heard of that one. Any good?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
stridey said:
Right. Forgetting OmniWeb was silly (although not counting it twice was understandable). As for Netscape, I assumed it was outmoded enough that you wouldn't have it. SunriseBrowser, eh? Never heard of that one. Any good?
SunriseBrowser is very small. Like I said, it is WebKit based.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
GanChan said:
Out of all those browsers, how would you personally rate them? Just curious.
My recommendation to you is to download the browsers that pique your interest and try them out yourself. Only you know what you like. Discussions of the merits and faults of browsers tend to take on religious overtones. These types of discussions may have some relevance on Windows where applications typically bump into each other. On the Mac, I can have all twelve of my browsers open at the same time if I want. Of course I don't open of my browsers at the same time. But if I can do it, what is there to discuss?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.