How to change my normal HDD icon to a SSD icon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nightfly13, Jan 19, 2010.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I'm afraid I'm having a Windows user moment. Sometimes I still fail to do things the easy, intuitive way, even after roughly 4 years in OS X. I have 5 hard drives in my Mac Pro, one of them is my boot Intel SSD. I want that icon to be distinct from the others (another is a Time Machine drive). I've downloaded two files that would work for me, one was a png and the other a .ico file, but when I copy the icon from the top left corner of the 'get info' pane on the desired file, and then paste it int he correlating top left corner of the SSD 'get info' pane, it pastes the generic PNG or ICO icon, not the actual icon image I desire.

What am I doing wrong? I already feel stupid, I've watched videos, read Apple 101 URLs, but they all assume that I have a desired Icon that OS X sees as an icon, if that makes sense.

Thanks MacRumors community!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Copy the actual image in Finder via CMD+C and then paste that into the Get Info pane of the desired drive.

Maybe open the .png file in Preview and save it as .jpg and try again.

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Yup done both of those. All the latter one did was change the icon from the png icon to the jpeg icon, but not the actual icon. Thanks for the thoughts.

4. hideoshi macrumors newbie

Go here, convert your image file, then copy and paste the converted icon in the get info menu like you've done before.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Get Sugar Cube Software's Pic2Icon 1.3, it's free. Use it to create previews for png and ico files (among others). You can then copy and paste those previews onto your hard drives.

6. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Solved!

Thanks a bunch, it worked splendidly! I had to DL the compressed .hqx file and unzip but it's nice. I didn't try the Sugar Cube option but so far .ico/.icon files have not gotten it done for me... rather curiously.

Thanks again for the responses!