Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ip-problems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
im having a really hard time trying to figure this out. currently, anytime i try joining chats/services it shows:

[~name@IPaddress.ISP]

example
~donaldtrump@255.255.255.255.global.comcast.net

how do i change the name portion so it says ~hilaryclinton instead of ~donaldtrump ? thanks

all the articles ive found tell me how to change everything but this name portion

currently running: Yosemite 10.10.3 on a macbook

Last edited:

ip-problems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
Do you know what a host file service is? That is your answer.

i do but when i try editing the hostfile it doesnt have the name im trying to change. i can mask the IP but the name, not so much. maybe im doing this wrong?

i used this link for help https://decoding.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-in-mac-os-x-leopard/

and many others, and they all show me how to change everything but the "~name"

if i switch users on yosemite it will change the name so i know i dont have to contact my ISP (which one link suggested i do). i bet this is really easy and im forgetting something really dumb.

Last edited:

ip-problems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
Are you logging into IRC chats? If so, it looks like you might want the /nick command:

/nick hillaryclinton

not on IRC but something similar. even if u do /nick hillaryclinton that doesnt effect how ~donaldtrump@177.0.0.1.comcast.net is displayed

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ident_protocol

What this "~donaldtrump@255.255.255.255.global.comcast.net" is, is an ident string, where in this example, 'donaldtrump' is the actual ident value.

ident is essentially the identifier of who started the TCP connection from the client to the server.

You're not running identd, hence the tilde in front of the string, and you shouldn't be. This ident is being generated by the client application (as opposed to identd). What the client application is pulling from your environment variables to provide to the service will vary. I have no idea what the context of your question is, so I'm going to answer in terms of IRC, since IRC is the most common occurrence of ident.

IRC clients will simulate identd and respond to ident requests from the server. *Usually*, it'll just grab the value of the username environment variable, and ship that over. Some clients will have this hard coded, so your ident string will actually end up being 'younick!somedefaultstring@yourdomain'. In any case, you should be able to locate a setting in your IRC client to set this value to whatever you want.

Going back to your statement that: "even if u do /nick hillaryclinton that doesnt effect how ~donaldtrump@177.0.0.1.comcast.net is displayed"

That is actually normal behavior. Changing your nick on IRC shouldn't change your ident value. Going back to the ident protocol, and what was stated earlier, ident is who started the TCP connection. Thus, this will typically be the username of the person on the client computer. A 'nick' on IRC is just the person's identifier on IRC. Thus, an ident and an IRC nick are independent identifiers. It's not uncommon for users to have the same ident and IRC nick. Your username on your local machine might be donald, while your IRC nick is donaldtrump, and thus, your full ident string on IRC will be donald!donaldtrump@mydomain.net.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.