How to change the name of "personal folder"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickhorn, Nov 1, 2010.

1. rickhorn macrumors member

rickhorn

Hi masters, I am a new user of Mac OS X. I really want to change the name of "personal folder". I found an article on Apple.com that I have to activate "Root user" to change that...pretty complicating!

Anyone know how I can change that folder's name just easy as windows "right click" and "change the name"...

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The way Apple posted to change the name of the Home Directory (the short name of your folder) is the best way to do this. Right clicking on the folder and changing the name via the GET INFO window or any other way via Finder, will bring you only trouble.

What part of Apple's description do you have a problem with?

Btw, your image does not show up.

3. rickhorn thread starter macrumors member

rickhorn

thanks! I just read that article and felt complicated...I didn't start yet. Let me follow the instruction and try to change the short name. If I have further question, i'll post it here.

I don't know why apple doesn't allow to change short name once the account has been created?

Again, thanks! :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. rickhorn thread starter macrumors member

rickhorn

I uploaded pix to flickr and copy the short link here in "insert image" popup. No idea why it doesn't show up here...weird :confused:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't use the short name. Use the full URL. Or, instead of using flickr, just upload the picture here. http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Taking_Screenshots_To_Upload

7. rickhorn thread starter macrumors member

rickhorn

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. rickhorn thread starter macrumors member

rickhorn

THANKS A LOT GG and Spinner!!! :)

I have successfully changed the shortname to what I like!

I'm so excited...lol

Thanks for your help and guidance.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How did you do it then?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm guessing by following the link I posted in post #4.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As rickhorn already found that link and was having problems with the complicated steps, I was just making sure, the OP did not just rename it via Finder. :confused:

13. rickhorn thread starter macrumors member

rickhorn

Exactly...enable root user, change folder name, create another admin user acct with the same short name then disable root user then log on to newly created admin acct n delete the old admin acct...

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, I wish I would have Mac OS X 10.4.x on one of my machines just to complete the 43 required steps to do the same. Hmm, I can just try these steps with one of my machines using Mac OS X 10.8.4 Snow Lion, when we ever get that far. Hopefully it will be fully touch and look like iOS. That makes running Avid and Shale much faster. Ah, the copy process has finished and I can stop scribbling words out of my fingers. Did you notice, that Joss Whedon's series have quite awful looking opening titles? Except maybe that Sci-Fi Western no one watched or that Zoolander show.