Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
I bought this macbook pro from a friend and didn't want to have to do a fresh install(he didn't have much on the computer as is). I have got most everything changed how I like it, but when I look at my user folder under the "Users" folder and it still has the old username even though I've changed the username. I have no idea how to rename this folder, but if you know could you share your sagely wisdom?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 9.53.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 9.53.50 AM.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 68

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just follow this guide. Make sure you do both parts to change the "short name" and the home folder name.

If I could make a suggestion though. Since this is a new machine to you, I would go to Users and Groups in System Prefs and setup a new admin account for yourself to start fresh will your own settings. Once you make the new account you can login to it and delete the old account, assuming there is no data in the old account you want to keep.

This will start you fresh like it was a new computer and you won't have to worry about any of the previous owner's data or settings being in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.