How to change the XP icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, May 24, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I changed the icon on the XP side of boot camp, but whenever I load Leopard, I still get that same stock image of XP. I thought I can change it in the get info option, like any other icon, but it is locked. Anyone got some ideas?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is the partition formatted to NTFS? If so, you should be able to change the icon if you install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G.

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is NTFS formatted. How exactly does that Macfuse program work?

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

MacFuse is a program that allows various extensions to be installed. Think of it as a middleman between Mac OS X and various programs you want to install. So in this case, by installing MacFuse, you can then install NTFS-3G.

NTFS-3G allows your Mac to have read/write access to NTFS hard drives. By default, Mac OS X can only read the data from NTFS -- it can't change (or "write") to it. So because your Windows XP partition is formatted as NTFS, you're unable to change the icon. But by installing NTFS-3G, it will permit Mac OS X to have write access to the XP partition, thus allowing you to change the icon.

5. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I installed both, and now all I have to do is paste the new icon in the "get info" folder of XP?

6. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it, thanks a lot.