How to change to a particular window quickly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mick468, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mick468 macrumors newbie

I recently changed from PC to Mac because everyone told me how easy it is and efficient. So far i have not found this to be the case. I'm trying to work out how to move between windows very quickly. Coming from PC, where there is always the tabs at the bottom of the screen, means Ive always been able to click on any active window and it appears instantly. Not with Mac though.

The nature of my work means that I'm constantly working on different word documents and many other applications and I need to change every few seconds. I'm looking for a very quick way to change to any window i want.

So on the Mac, for example if i have Firefox open and 6 Word documents open, I want to change from Firefox to Word Document #3, these are my options:

1) Reduce the size of the windows and arrange the windows so I can click on each. This doesn't work when I have too many windows active.

2) Expose: Having to search for the correct Document every time i want to change windows is quite a lot of work, considering I have to do it so frequently. Also opening new windows and closing windows changes the arrangement on the expose screen, making it harder to locate. Holding down the Word icon on the Doc (the doc holding the icons of apps at the bottom of screen) helps, showing only the word documents, but i'm still searching for the document and I usually have a lot open.

3) Alt Tab: Tabbing across to the Word Icon and it opens Document #1. I want document #3.

4) Spaces: Having lots of spaces means memorizing which window is in which space. I really don't want be memorizing. Setting up spaces takes time as well.

5) Fn control F4, and CMD tilda aren't very efficient, cycling through all the windows until the right one appears.

From what Ive seen, Lion's mission control is more of a fancy expose, but it doesn't solve the main issues Im having.

Changing to Mac has really slowed me down. Im spending time finding windows where I wasn't before on PC, or I'm spending time setting up spaces and putting effort into memorizing their location. Alt Tab is great for toggling between 2 windows, but i'm usually changing between many. Is there is a quick way to change windows and managing all this? or is there a 3rd party app which can help? Or do I sell my Mac and go back to PC ?

Thanks !

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Window Blinds from the App Store. Use it and love it. It "replaces" Alt Tab and you can hit the tab/shifttab until you get to the exact window you want. It will switch to the space and bring it up.

3. smj996c, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

smj996c macrumors newbie

smj996c

Mission control willll allow this simply hit f3 or three finger gesture on trackpad and you will see your stack of word docs behind the word icon, simply click on the one you want to open

4. TaylorY macrumors newbie

Use the 3 finger gesture to swipe between full screen apps? That is if you have Lion (and word has the full screen option? I don't know for sure). It's crazy fast for me but you sound like you're trying to scroll between windows at the speed of light.

5. mick468 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have discovered another way - to right click the icon on the doc and that brings up all the windows open to that application and then i can click on that, but thats also too slow.

miles01110 - I downloaded Witch and its brilliant - it is perfect for what I'm looking for. Thanks very much for the recommendation

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, it is one of the handier utilities I've found. Are you using it on Lion?

7. mick468 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not using Lion. Are you? and if so, any issues?

8. InTheUnion macrumors regular

InTheUnion

I've always been a fan of the "active screen corners" which you can set up in the Exposé & Spaces preferences. It's especially useful since I don't have the use of 3-finger gestures. I have it set to show me all open windows, all application-specific windows, and the desktop when I move the cursor into their respective corners. :)

Also, the Cmd-~ shortcut will switch between application-specific windows

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You should definitely try out Hyperdock. If you hover your mouse over the icon, a window comes up that shows the application and it's corresponding space (if you have spaces enabled).

I use it from time to time and love it.