How to change to read/write when locked? (Want to change Firefox icon)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by polycat33, Jun 15, 2008.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I was thinking about changing the firefox icon, and I found a couple icons I wanted to try out, but the usual copy/paste in the info window wasn't working. I went in to the package contents to just replace the icon file, but found all the package contents was read only, and locked so I can't change it to read/write. Any suggestions on how I can unlock it or change the icon in another way?

I'm running Tiger 10.4.11, and it's Firefox 2. I've attached a screenshot of the section of the info box that shows that it's read only and locked. I have admin privileges if that helps.

Attached Files:

2. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Changed some stuff in the original in hopes that I will actually get a response to this thread - every thread I've started in the last six months at least hasn't gotten a single answer, and I find it hard to believe that no one knows the answer. Please reply if you have ANY advice.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Get Info on the app, change your permissions to "Read & Write" (you may need to enter your Administrator-level password), then try pasting the icon again.

4. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just added a screenshot of why that won't work, at least not without doing something else to enable me to do that.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In your screenshot, the owner is (unknown). Did you try clicking the lock icon to see if you can unlock that and change the owner to yourself? Also, why is the owner (unknown)? How did you get Firefox on your system?

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Terminal -> chmod -R 777 /Applications/Firefox.app

now you can replace the icon

then to make it back to normal, Repair Disk Permissions

7. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Clicking the lock allowed me to change the owner to me once I put in my password, then it changed to read/write. Thanks!

Not sure why the owner is unknown... could it be that I installed Firefox and then in order to fix a problem I was having I made a new user and deleted the old user? So the owner would have been the old user but since it was deleted it's unknown?

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

sudo chown "your user name" *filename*

oh, since I guess mac does a sort of container type of apps, it would need to be recursive. -R