How to change transition time in FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, May 13, 2009.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm unclear about how to change the video effect times in FCE 4. I've tried double clicking the effect and changing the time in the time box to 3:00 (seconds), then dragging the effect to my timeline, but it doesn't change from default.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

First your clips (both the outgoing and the incoming) must have enough handles to support the duration. If they do, you should be able to right-click on the transition and select DURATION to change it. Or zoom in on the Timeline and use the pointer to grab one side of the transition and drag it longer or shorter (turn snapping off first with the n key).

-DH

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Pages 558 and 560 from Final Cut Express 4 User Manual:

[​IMG]

As stated in the above page, the duration of the transition uses the left over frames from the clips that are being blended. If there are not enough frames left, then the duration can not be lengthened.

[​IMG]

4. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Right clicking the transition in the timeline does it; thanks! Changing the time in the effect editor time box doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, sometimes the transition will stick to the end of the left clip and refuses to center. There's plenty of time on both clips so why is this?

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1. You might be changing the duration of the effect from its location in the Effects bin and not the one applied to the timeline. To change the duration this way, you would want to double-click the effect on the timeline and its settings should show up in the Viewer window for adjustment.

2. Which transition are you using that this is happening with? Some transitions behave differently than others.

6. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, you are correct. I was double clicking the effect in the effect bin, changing the duration, and then dragging the effect to the time line. Applying the effect and then double clicking it from the timeline does allow changes to stick; Thanks!

The transition that I can't always center is the cross dissolve. It seems to be a problem if there is a short 4 second clip to the left of center. Perhaps there is a minimum time for the starting clip of a cross dissolve? The effect is just 1 second, though.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has the clip enough handle length?