How to change video from landscape to portrait?? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rockandroll556, Feb 24, 2014.

1. rockandroll556 macrumors member

Hey guys

So im trying to do the exact opposite of what everyone else always is trying to do... I want to take a normal, widescreen video (that would fill the screen of an iphone held horizontally), crop out the sides, and make it appear as if it were a vertical video on an iphone.

Basically, I want to take the middle portion of a widescreen video, and crop it out so that viewers holding an iphone vertically (the normal way) would watch the video without any black bars. Make sense?

For some reason this seems to be extremely hard to do. Any and all help is extremely appreciated!!

Thanks

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

What software do you have available to you?

This is very easy to achieve in premiere...

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

acearchie is right, it is very easy. just scale your footage.

4. WalrusWinks macrumors newbie

let me assume you have a 1080p HD video and want to preserve as much quality as possible. for phones, which are nominally 9x16 in aspect in vertical orientation, i would create a 608Hx1080V video frame in your software of choice (premiere or final cut). then place your clip in that frame and center it in the way that crops out what you want removed. you can also scale it up if you want to eliminate some of the vertical from the source as well.

once you have created a newly framed video (premiere calls it a "sequence"), you will export it and must choose a custom vertical frame output matching your desired frame size (608x1080 in this case.) i would suggest the h.264 codec as this works well with verticals in my experience. quicktime (mov) also would work. then export and you will have a beautiful vertical video.

if you want to format vertical for iPad instead of phones, use a 3x4 aspect ratio instead of 9x16. that would be 810x1080

good luck!