How-to: Changing Icons in OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by madisonfaye, Oct 29, 2011.

1. madisonfaye, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I've had a few people ask me how to change application & file & dock icons in Lion. So to make life easier, I made a short simple video on how to do it. I figured I'd share it here incase anyone else was curious because its super simple, I have a cold though so I'm sorry if some parts have poor audio!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLPONjni6ls

2. Stotka macrumors regular

Stotka

Or you could download Candy bar app or Iconbox from the app store. Does everything with a nice UI.

3. yawns macrumors member

Yeah, but those apps are over-priced. Even if they were free, I'd prefer to do things without 3rd party software if the OS safely allows it.

4. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Same here. Not to mention its so fast and easy it would probably take you longer to download the application.

5. yawns macrumors member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Its an app called Screen Capture I think? It was free. Not the best but it works!

My video actually shows this method and another method because that #1 method only works with 20% of icon file types. But those are still good links. You make it seem like sitting through my 2 minute video is a chore :(

8. yawns macrumors member

Yeah, it looks/sounds clear, which is much better than whatever I tried with before. Thanks.

9. pyrex macrumors member

but how do you change the icons in the sidebar!! Pretty sick of having my sidebar with my custom folder icons I've used since 10.2 that are now hard to differentiate even if I did actually alter the icon using your tried and true method.