How to charge an iOS device using another iOS device

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sultanoflondon, Jul 3, 2014.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to charge my iPhone using my iPod? So somehow connect a cable between the two and 'transfer charge' between the two?

Thanks!

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

4. Quantum2 macrumors newbie

That only works on devices which support OTG, i.e able to be the host on a USB connection like a PC, AFAIK iDevices doesn't support OTG, so either use a Android phone or tablet (most android devices fully support OtG) or a dedicated charger

tl;dr iPods cant be host to a usb connection therefore can't charge

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

There was a project on kick starter that did this a few months ago. Don't know if it got funded though.

6. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

would be interesting, but not very useful for most people. the amount of times i have wanted this since i got my first iOS device 3 years ago is once. on the first day i got it after the battery died. if you want something like this, get a battery case, like a mophie juicepack.

7. paul.p macrumors member

paul.p

8. johnnnw, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

9. sultanoflondon thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of the replies everybody!

I don't think that I can do what I want to do, but there certainly are cheap products available for me to charge my phone on the go!

Thanks!

10. Winona Northdakota, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

How to charge an iOS device using another iOS device

IOS does support USB on the go, with the Camera Connection kit or Lightning to USB adapter. It doesn't support all USB on the go features, such as charging other devices.

http://m.imore.com/playing-around-apple-lightning-usb-camera-connector

11. cynics macrumors G4

It needs native USB hosting. That's why when you plug an iPhone into an Android device the Android device charges the iPhone and sees it as a camera. iPhone doesn't support that. That's why it sits there like a dummy acting as a camera. :)

12. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Like I said, iOS does support USB hosting, it is limited with what Apple will allow with iOS.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I can only see that feature being genuinely useful in a life & death scenario. You're stranded on a cliff face and have no way of escape. In your bag is a charged up WiFi-only Android tablet, and an iPhone with a flat battery...
    That's definitely one good reason to not pile all your eggs into one basket. Spread a little Android love.