How to charge macbook pro 13 inch battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tml.chelseafc, Aug 15, 2009.

1. tml.chelseafc macrumors member

So I finally got my macbook pro a little while ago (a few days)

I calibrated it for the first time and since the 2 days I have it, I have charged it 2 times and each time it lasted for about 5 hours. I was installing a LOT of stuff... Is this normal? and is there a limit to how many times I should be charging it per week?

Also, at what percentage should I connect the power adapter?

Thanks and sorry I know there are a of of battery questions but its free to post a thread and it costs hundreds if you are doing something wrong..

Also I just installed cocunot battery, and it is giving me a health of 98% and 2 weeks old. I just bought it 2 days ago :confused:

2. mrj412 macrumors regular

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And if you constantly stare at any battery stat monitor you'll drive yourself nuts. 98% is not bad even after 2 days.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably not even 98%. Battery software always has some intrinsic error.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just charge it. Playing the stupid games with plugging it in at certain points really is just a waste of time and effort. You have a high-capacity battery: take advantage of it and the fact that it won't degrade as quickly. Heck, I'm using a three year old battery with over 400 cycles and system profiler still reports 93% capacity.

6. itzjohnny macrumors newbie

It says 2 weeks old even though you bought it 2 days ago because it was made 2 weeks ago.

7. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The battery works for you, not the opposite. Just plug it in when you need to and don't worry about it so much.

8. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Totally, mine jumps around from 100 to 98 back to 100 and I have 456 cycles already. It's usually at 100% though, that's what it currently is.

Attached Files:

9. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

that is impressive; the fact that it hasn't degraded to ~80%. what machine do you have? how many charge cycles do you go through per day? do you ever calibrate your battery?

10. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 13" here too, question:

hey fellas

I just got a macbook pro 13" in too as well. I have the same question as the guy that posted this. How many times per day should I be charging my macbook pro 13" and how many times per week? I already did the calibration for my laptop on the first day.

I've already have 3 count cycles for two days. Is that good?!

What applications should I be downloading that is helpful for my macbook pro 13" and for school as well?

Can I leave my charger in the the laptop for how many hours? :D Thanks guys.

:apple:,
    Chris.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As many times as you need to. Contrary to popular belief, you don't get a prize if your battery is still at > 80% capacity after 3 years or 1000 cycles.

12. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Charge it when it needs to be charged. Use it when you need to use it. Isn't that the reason you bought the laptop?

13. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

Is there any applications that I need to download?

Another thing? the backlit light, for the keyboard, should I manually turn it off or leave it on the way it was before?

14. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I manually turn it off when not needed

15. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

battery possible issue?

Anyone experiencing battery charging issue? It may not even be an issue but I've fully charged my macbook pro 13" when I turned on the laptop it says 100% but quickly shows 99% even though I've charged it fully. Should I remove the a/c adapter? I've had total of 4 count cycle since June 9th of 2010 when I bought my macbook pro 13". Is that a bad sign? I hope someone gets back to me with answers cos I'm clueless of how to use the batteries. I don't want anything bad happening to a 1K+ device. Thanks fellas.
    :apple:, chris.

16. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

When you are near a plug socket plug your MBP in.

When you are away from a socket don't plug it in.

That's it.

Easy eh?

And to be a little less flippant don't worry about coconut's reports. My MBP's batt stats went up to around 106% worth of power when it was new, then it went down to 98% and I freaked. But I was told on here that it was all normal, and sure enough they were right. My batt goes from 100% to 98% all the time. It is normal.

Just forget all you heard in days of yore about how to care for a rechargeable battery, it's all irrelevant.

As I said when at home plug it in, when not don't.

doris

17. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

Thanks Doris!

I'm less worried now. I've been like watching my every move with my new 1K+ device lol. Thanks again! Also, what are the applications I should download for my macbook pro?

18. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

There are a couple posts on this topic. But I would download coconut battery, adium, transmission, vlc and perhaps dropbox.

19. MBP13Guy25 macrumors newbie

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

BitTorrent client, found out via a search engine.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide#Apps

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

21. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If you have more questions about your MBP, please read the MBP FAQ before starting a new thread.

22. toffa813 macrumors regular

You're fine. I've had my new 15" i7 MBP (showing 100% atm though) as well as my old MB say 98/99% while plugged in. I don't exactly know the reason behind it, but I think its pretty normal.