How to charge MacBook (Retina, 12-inch) and iPhone together?

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey,

I just picked up a new MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) with a USB adapter.

Is there any apple or third party adapter that allows me to charge my phone from the macbook while the macbook is on power supply as well?

I am used to have have my phone in a dock, connected to my mac while working. Now this option seems out of the window unless you guys have a solution?

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I got the USB adapter but I can either charge the macbook or the phone but not both at the same time as theres only one USB slot.

Can I connect a USB hub to the adapter or will that not produce enough power?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
79 bucks. Good grief, I didn't know it was that shocking price. Apple usually charges 29 bucks for wires but this is taking the biscuit.
I rarely complain about Apple prices, knowing they aren't cheap, but they went too far here...

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Got the adapter. It works to charge the phone (extremely slow!) but doesn't have enough juice to power a USB drive and charge the laptop at the same time.

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
Got the adapter. It works to charge the phone (extremely slow!) but doesn't have enough juice to power a USB drive and charge the laptop at the same time.
It should charge at about half speed in my experience. It should also have enough juice to run one external drive and a few accessories. I typically have at least 1 drive and a couple of other things attached.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
79 bucks. Good grief, I didn't know it was that shocking price. Apple usually charges 29 bucks for wires but this is taking the biscuit.
Apple's done it before with these dongles. They know they have a captive audience and even now there's little options available so they can charge what ever they want. I wished they had a mini display port on that dongle. HDMI doesn't help me much but the mini-display port would

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
It should charge at about half speed in my experience. It should also have enough juice to run one external drive and a few accessories. I typically have at least 1 drive and a couple of other things attached.
So not only is the Macbook crippled by 1 port but the ability to do basic tasks like charging through the wire are crippled too. But, nobody really needs a second port on a Macbook because it doesn't have one!

Reactions: lite426 and Max(IT)

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
So not only is the Macbook crippled by 1 port but the ability to do basic tasks like charging through the wire are crippled too. But, nobody really needs a second port on a Macbook because it doesn't have one!
The fact that it doubles the charging time isn't really that big of a deal because at full-speed it will do an 80% charge in about an hour. Either way it charges faster than most laptops.