How to charge MacBook (Retina, 12-inch) and iPhone together?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by irock101, Nov 6, 2015.

1. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Hey,

I just picked up a new MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) with a USB adapter.

Is there any apple or third party adapter that allows me to charge my phone from the macbook while the macbook is on power supply as well?

I am used to have have my phone in a dock, connected to my mac while working. Now this option seems out of the window unless you guys have a solution?

2. infiniteentropy macrumors regular

Use the USB-C Digital AV Adapter, plug it into the USB port, should be just fine.

3. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

I got the USB adapter but I can either charge the macbook or the phone but not both at the same time as theres only one USB slot.

Can I connect a USB hub to the adapter or will that not produce enough power?

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The digital av adapter is different than the one you bought. It has 3 ports - one for the charging cable, one for usb-a, and an hdmi port.

There is also the plugbug

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/plugbug-world

but at that point I'd probably just buy the apple adapter which gives you more flexibility.

5. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

9. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

79 bucks. Good grief, I didn't know it was that shocking price. Apple usually charges 29 bucks for wires but this is taking the biscuit.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I rarely complain about Apple prices, knowing they aren't cheap, but they went too far here...

11. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

Got the adapter. It works to charge the phone (extremely slow!) but doesn't have enough juice to power a USB drive and charge the laptop at the same time.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It should charge at about half speed in my experience. It should also have enough juice to run one external drive and a few accessories. I typically have at least 1 drive and a couple of other things attached.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's done it before with these dongles. They know they have a captive audience and even now there's little options available so they can charge what ever they want. I wished they had a mini display port on that dongle. HDMI doesn't help me much but the mini-display port would

14. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

So not only is the Macbook crippled by 1 port but the ability to do basic tasks like charging through the wire are crippled too. But, nobody really needs a second port on a Macbook because it doesn't have one!

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The fact that it doubles the charging time isn't really that big of a deal because at full-speed it will do an 80% charge in about an hour. Either way it charges faster than most laptops.

16. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Another vote for the plugbug.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw you got the adapter.