How to charge/use my rMBP 13 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mutn10, Mar 30, 2015.

1. mutn10 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

Of course I know how to charge my laptop, but I wanted to ask some things considering charging and the batteries.
    To make it easier for you guys to reply, I will break up my questions in different points.
    1) Is it bad to charge your rMBP overnight?
    2) Is it bad to charge it, then use it until it has 25% or so and than recharge it (even if you are around a charger)

So what I mean is: I thought I should charge it --> use on battery until some 25% (because too low is bad, I know that) --> recharge and so on and so on. Now on another site I read that it is actually better to use it on charger as much as you can because if you do so, you save the battery because the power comes straight from the charger and bypasses the battery, thus not generating charge cycles. Is this true? Will this make a significant difference?

Thanks in advance

2. Samuelsan2001, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just use it

Charge it when you can use it on battery when you need. Simple as that all these battery things are out of date, just check the apple website:

https://www.apple.com/uk/batteries/maximizing-performance/#macbook

or here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

More importantly just use it as you want there is no point in spending that sort of money on a laptop and then restricting how you use it. The battery will die over time whatever you do and in 4-5 years it'll probably need a new one. Apple replace them for a couple of hundred dollars and that seems fair for 4-5 years of battery.

3. mutn10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I was mostly in doubt because with my old laptop: I always charged it when possible and now, the battery is worth nothing. But maybe that is because I used the laptop for gaming a lot and the heat had bad effects on my battery?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

1)No.
    2) You're just needlessly putting cycles on the battery if you do that.

Use it however you please, no matter what you do in 3-5 years the battery'll die from old age.

5. mutn10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm okay. Seems like I will use it at my dorm with cable and without cable during colleges because that would be the most practical. I may also use it without charger if I notice the MBP gets too hot (because heat is the biggest enemy of batteries, I suppose?)

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Only extreme temperatures, which your battery will not reach in normal use.

7. mutn10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah well, another thing I don't have to worry about. I will use it as I said then, using at home with cable, using outdoors without, thus a good balance between the 2.