How to check CPU usage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by P90Xfit, Feb 13, 2009.

1. P90Xfit macrumors regular

I was googling the question at hand, but all I keep getting is Mac Apps to do this. is there a way to do this just from OS X? If not, what would be the best app for it?

2. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Two options.

Activity Monitor: hit command + Spacebar and type activity monitor. Press enter. You'll get something like in the first picture.

iStat Pro. I use Dashboard widget flavor. Download Here. A screen shot of that is the second picture.

I used both. Activity Monitor can kill process and is good for seeing which program is using what. iStat is a really good fast way to see what resources you have open.

Attached Files:

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you want a dashboard widget, check out iStat Pro or iStat nano.

If you want something in your dock, just run the Activity Monitor program (in Applications > Utilities) then click on View > Dock Icon > Show CPU History. You can close the main window, and the dock will still update with CPU usage.

Gives you something like this:

Attached Files:

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That's funny. Same suggestions, few second apart. I guess he knows what to do! :D

5. JKitterman macrumors member

Open Terminal and use 'top' command
    Hitting Q will exit from TOP

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

great minds think alike?! :D

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's the best way, I think. It doesn't use up much in terms of resources, which is what you're after when you open up things like Activity Monitor. ;)

And just for shiggles, in Terminal, type in "uptime" to see how long you've used your laptop without shutting down or restarting. :)