How to check for malware, etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3v0, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 3v0 macrumors member

I have a white macbook and I have recently got these random messages when I load a web page. It will show me like a "warning" page, its has I think a black and white background with a message in the middle thats like "This site contains malware that could effect your computer" would you like to continue, etc. I got one for malware and one for "phishing."
    Ive never had these before, how can I know if my computer has been effected?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Please provide a link, so we can confirm or deny the existence of that "malware". Most probably it is just a pop-up, there to lure unknowing people into downloading software to "scan" your computer. Most often that software contains malware, thus the "scan" is void anyway.

Btw, as far as I know, there is now way for a browser to scan your computer and tell you, that you have some kind of malware installed.

3. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

I have my pop up blocker on. but it wasn't like a site that constantly shows it. Today the one regarding the phishing was when I tried to go to my email website and check it. Thats never happen to me before.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The next time it appears, take a screenshot and post it here.

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a common warning, similar to Google's:
    Suspicious results and strange behavior: Results labeled 'This site may harm your computer'
    It simply means the site may have malware content on it. Your Mac cannot be infected by simply visiting such a site. For your Mac to be infected, you would have to download malware from the site, then install it, entering your admin password, so you would know if something was installed.
    Phishing sites simply attempt to trick you into providing information about yourself. If you don't enter personal information on the site, the phishing attempt fails.

6. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! but I also just had it happen again and took a picture. This is what I meant.

Attached Files:

7. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

Is it all just a warning. Ive never had this pop up ever before. Thats my main concern.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you said, and the message does too, it's just a warning. You can either ignore it or change course and avoid that page.
    The warning even offers to give you more information.

Anyway, that warning is built into Safari and as the name say, shall warn you of conspicuous sites.

Read up on "phishing", the warning offers you more information about it, and decide for yourself, if you want to go to that page and use the full capacity of it or not.

The warning does not say, that you have malware installed on your system.

[​IMG]

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

9. warrmr macrumors regular

Trend micro had a in browser Java application called housecall a few years ago that was an online virus scanner that could check you HDDs for viruses and badware. Dunno if it works on mac.

and to the OP those warnings are nothing to worry about. unless you were trying to log onto something for example your bank. or clicked a link in your email. thinking it was supposed to be ebay/paypal/bank ect and got that warning.

If it was anything important like any of those i mentioned above do not ignore the warning. and go direct to the url of your bank and see if you get the same issue.

EDIT:

Do not log into that site as it looks like it is trying to masquarade as hotmail.com. Look at the URL it says something like hotmail.SomeDude.msn.com/hotmail.

make sure you go either to hotmail.com to be safe.

If in doubt change your password.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Those are common. Like others have said it doesn't mean you have or will get a virus. They are just generic warnings.