Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Is this real? Is OSX vulnerable? What to look for?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Any system is potentially vulnerable to hacking. It would be arrogant to suggest otherwise. However, I can advise you that with common cases of malware, there are very few points of infection on a Mac. 99 times out of 100, MalwareBytes for Mac will demolish these threats: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

Furthermore, the Vault 7 stuff you cite would be used in very niche circumstances. This isn't readily available technology that's been floating about the interwebz, which can happily make its way onto your computer when you Google search 'big boobies'. We're talking about coordinated uses to monitor a specific person: breaking into their home, planting tracking devices, all the rest of it. If you don't need to worry about that in your daily life, you probably don't need to worry about this malicious code.

TL;DR: if you're important enough to get your Mac targeted by the malware you mentioned, they'll already be watching you in every other aspect of your life. I hope that provides more reassurance than terror! :)

Reactions: TonyK

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply keysofanxiety!

I install my OS myself and I run Little Snitch. I don't run virus detection. I prefer a network monitor to 'lock the door' as opposed to leaving it wide open and then checking to see what let itself in (as apparently Windows users prefer to do).

Am I missing anything with that SOP?

Just asking about the latest one I see mentioned for no particular reason beyond the buzz.

And no, sadly I'm not anywhere near popular or interesting enough to be 'hacked'. (I agree with that bit of common sense.)

The last one that actually was able to target OSX deleted itself and ran away if it saw Little Snitch. (I forget what that one was called.)

serr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Is this one really just facialbook posts gone wild or people making excuses for Windows crashes again?

Maybe a better question might be if anyone has any suspicions that Little Snitch would cooperate in any way shape or form with the CIA, FBI, etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.