How to check GPU of Early 08 MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anirudh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Suppose one gets one of those early 08 MBPs, what are the various 'steps' to check whether the GPU is faulty or not?

Also, if the GPU turns out to be faulty, and apple repairs it, after that does it mean that the replaced GPU wont crap out? I mean will they install some other make/ model thats not defective at all?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

All of those GPUs are going to crap out eventually (earlier than most) it just depends on whether you'll get one that craps out a month out of warranty or one that craps out six months out of warranty.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

is that for sure? you have any source or statistic? because i hope to get a brand new MBP when mine dies in let's say two years and apple ran out of replacement motherboards. if it dies in 4 years than i got my moneys worth out of the MBP and i don't care.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Apple won't run out of replacement motherboards. They still have the first generation iPhones for people who need iPhone replacements.

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

no one ever said all of the gpu's will die. he doesn't know what he's talking about and if he had a valid source for it he would post it. the press release never said all the gpu's were bad.

6. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Yup, they still have Powerbook parts!

I agree...I haven't had a single problem with my over-year-old MBP with the 8600m and I played a bunch of hight power games on it.

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

TuffLuff: You always post your certainty that all GeForce 8600s are going to die either soon, or slightly sooner. No doubt about it. Other than quoting some journalist who has an agenda as a source, can you actually provide any verifiable data to back up your claim? I'd be interested in the statistical analysis, because if you're right, then there should already be millions of them that have failed and with the right analysis, I could actually predict within a determined margin of error... the exact day mine will fail. And the reason I'd like this information is because then I could get if replaced under warranty prior to a "known" future failure date, and so be able to plan my whole life much better.

Of course, the same goes for my other electronic gear. Because as of now, I have no idea when any of it's going to fail, but many of them have failed for one reason or another over the years - usually unexpectedly. So, if you could point us in the direction of your factual statistics, which of course don't include my MBP or lots of others I know of, I'd really be grateful. :)

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just wait awhile. I say it so baised because I think it's moronic to buy a computer with a part with a known issue when you could just buy the new version that doesn't have that issue.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not necessarily especially considering the fact that the new models lack FW 400, come in Glossy only, use a proprietary video port, cost significantly more AND are using Nvidia chips which, who knows might also fail in the future...yes i know Nvidia said the new MBPs/MB/MBA are free from the defect....but they said the same thing for the 8600GT and look how that turned out)

I bought the last gen model and it did have a faulty card which failed Nvidia's GPU test. I sent it in for a replacement board and it works fine now AND passed said test

The fact that Apple is still selling the 17" MBP which runs the same card makes me believe Nvidia have corrected the fault and revised logic boards accordingly.

Unless you have absolute proof that ALL the cards will still fail, all you're spewing is conjecture.

10. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

its strange how all threads about MBP GPU end up in arguments without answering the thread starter's question. All I wanted to know are there any 'steps' to indicate whether the GPU is going to fail before it does. Also, after the failure what are the symptoms?

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

lol like the new models dont have issues. :rolleyes: you've got other things to worry about than a GPU on the late 08s.

12. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

@daneoni

What is this nvidia GPU test you speak about?

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Lack 400, but 800 is backward compatible, thus you don't need 400.
    Only in glossy: shouldn't really be an issue since it would be asinine to do any color correcting on any laptop screen.
    Proprietary video port: except it's not. It's an open standard. Apple just happens to be the first to use it, so far.
    Cost significantly more: actually it's the same price points as the last model, the old model is just cheaper because it is just that, the old model.

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

And you know this to be true? That the new version doesn't have that issue? Or are you making an assumption? You could very well be right about the new model not having "that" issue, but you really don't know for sure how many issues the new one will undoubtedly have. To say it's "moronic" to not buy the new version, but instead choose a machine where the known issue has been up front and center for a while now, is.... well... less than brilliant. It's too easy to just call something fact based on limited personal experience, reading blogs and internet journalists, and hearsay evidence.

That's why I asked you for the statistical data so I could actually measure my risk within a certain degree/margin of error. I guess I'll just have to wait on that...

Discourse and argument are the facts of life on a forum. Nothing unfriendly about it, just discussion. :)

I have the gpu in question, and I don't know the answer to your question. In my case, as long as the machine is performing as it was designed to, and I haven't noticed a single change in graphical behavior, I don't know what good the test you're referring to really would be. On the other hand, if you are suspecting a problem because of something you're seeing, or not seeing... I'd probably have it checked out. So, if you're not seeing anything 'odd' then I'd say not to worry that much about it. If Apple ever needs to replace your circuit board/gpu, it'll be the same model, but more than likely will have been quality checked. It's not like Apple/nVidia isn't aware of higher than average failure rates, and have more than likely identified the bad chip run at nVidia, and made some technical changes to their processes. I doubt that they are knowingly replacing all these motherboards with equally faulty ones, because it costs them $ and reputation in the end.

Look at all the new MBPs being replaced because of slanted keys, dust/hair behind display glass, bad displays, bent/dented/cases, battery compartment doors that are loose and rattle around, light leaks, etc. etc. I can't tell you how many threads I've read where buyers have returned 3, 4 and even 5 MBPs for replacement due to some problem, either real or cosmetic.

I'd not worry too much about the early 08 MBP, especially if date of manufacture is September 08 or later. They're a good, solid machine with most of the kinks ironed out of them. If you aren't comfortable with the risk, especially since most of our information is based on hearsay, not actual statistics, then get rid of it and get a new version, with its own unknown risk factor.

15. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Didn't you people still don't get it? It's not because of color correction, IT'S BECAUSE THAT STUPID UNERGONOMIC GLASSY GLOSSY SCREEN GIVES SOME PEOPLE HEADACHES when using it for a longer period. Of course you will now say you don't get headaches and all people who get them are idiots. :rolleyes:

And yes it's more expensive, because it still uses almost identical specs half a year later. It just has a new case, less ports and a screen that sucks. And you have to buy adapters for 100 bucks in order to use it with existing hardware (FW400->FW800, VGA adapter for projectors and DVI adapter for most existing monitors). These are the things I wouldn't want to buy when I need them, because sometimes I don't know in advance when I need them.

Apart from that who knows what problem you'll face with the new models? I have had enough of Apples glass-in-front-of-screen stuff with my iMac. Dust behind the screen, smudges behind the screen anyone? Apple won't repair these under warranty, because for them it's normal "wear and tear"... :rolleyes:

I rather have a mbp with a likely failure that will be repaired than a mbp with a likely fault that will not be repaired.

Have fun with your new MacBook Toy ähm Pro...

16. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Occasionally when waking up my Early '08 or Classic MBP from sleep, the colors are out of sync (too blue). Then I put it to sleep and wake it up again immediately, and all is ok. Could this be a sign of the GPU craping out?

Since I now have the new Unibody MBP, I'm thinking about selling the Classic MBP but don't want to sell someone a lemon...

17. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Would you like some cheese with that whine? :D

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its a test run by Geniuses at the Apple store to determine if your card has/will fail

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

1. Backwards compatible, yes it is but you'd need yet another adapter
    2. People do a lot of things besides colour correction on the field and having a glass mirror isn't always ideal
    3. It IS proprietary. Display Port is a standard...mini display port definitely isn't
    4. In the UK the new machines definitely cost more

20. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

@pdxflint

Well, the MBP i am talking about is not 'after september 08' it is from 'april 08'... so should that be of any concern?

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If you have an Apple store near you, go there, tell them you saw artifacts on you screen when you woke the laptop and that you'd like them to run the Nvidia GPU test. If your machine passes the test...you're good...if not....then...

22. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If it makes you feel better, mine is also manufactured in April 08, and mine is going strong. But, if it's going to worry you constantly, and you can't enjoy your laptop because you're constantly second-guessing yourself you might be better off just switching it for a new version.

For me, I take all the information I've heard, and process it through a bit of a mental filter. My machine is perfect so far. If I had never heard of this issue, I'd be none the wiser. Yet, knowing that perhaps the odds are a little more likely I might see a gpu failure than perhaps would be normal, I've made it a habit to just take care of my laptop by being aware of the heat fluctuations. I monitor my cpu/gpu temps, and keep them as constant as possible, while also keeping them as low as reasonable. To me it's like watching my oil temp and changing the oil in my late model car regularly, and just to minimize problems. If it breaks, it breaks. Those things do happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath just waiting for it to happen. Even with the new version something could break, so why worry about it until it happens.

By the same token, I'm not going to sweat things like minor scratches and wear and tear. My MBP is a tool, and it gets a ton of daily use. Maybe the HD will fail, or I'll pound the keyboard into some form of needing repairs, but so far it's a durable machine, works as expected, and I am aware of how to deal with basic issues, from software to physical stuff. I'm used to keeping things running by problem solving (having spent a fair amount of time with Windows laptops :cool:)

Bottom line: Should you be concerned? I'd say just be informed and aware. If you aren't comfortable with the worry about potential issues, then find something you are comfortable with. Nothing's for sure in this life, so find the risk level you can live with, and don't second guess yourself beyond that. :) Good luck either way.

23. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

Good advice...

Good advice! I also have a MBP with the said nVida chip and it runs perfectly. I have Apple care so if it blows, I'll just get it fixed. Also, it is well known that when it comes to electronic equipment, if it is going to break down, it will usually occur within the first year or two.

The extended warranty that Apple has given to the MBP with the nVidia chip in question more than covers the period of typical failure.

24. ccuk macrumors regular

1 ) You don't need to be colour correcting on the laptop to find the glossy screen problematic. And a matte screen is certainly better if you need to do some emergency correction...

2 ) It sadly is a proprietary port... no one else on the market manufactures the "mini display port" and also where is my mini display port to display port cable please? Also why doesn't it support audio? Sounds proprietary to me. Typical Apple.

3) It does cost more, £200-400 more in the UK.

Also, please stop spreading misinformation about the 8600M chips in the Macbook Pro's. Apple stated higher than normal failure rates due to some 8600M chips, not that all Macbook Pro's are affected and will consequently fail. Big difference.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

25. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I'm so sorry I said anything against an of course perfect and ultimate Apple product that is perfect for everyone because Steve Jobs says so. :rolleyes: