How to check if Java is working properly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Totty1987, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Totty1987 macrumors regular

I'm scheduled to take an online test for a job I'm applying for, but whenever I attempt to take the test I'm shown a javascript error. So is there a way for me check if java is fully operational on my system. By the way I'm using the Safari browser, so I'm not sure if there's some sort of incompatibility issue. :confused:

Any help is truly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Java and JavaScript are two different things. Which is giving the error?

3. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx for replying.

It seems to be Java giving the problem, even though I have it enabled in preferences

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help: Java Tester - Is Java Enabled?

5. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just tried to access my test, but I'm shown an inactive plugin message. Would you recommend I try another browser - Firefox, IE?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Go back to the link I posted and click the "Inactive Plug-in" in the "LIVE" box at the top of that page.

About the security content of Java for OS X 2012-004 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 9

7. Totty1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I've clicked the link in live box and restarted Safari as requested. The page now shows "This web browser can indeed run Java applets". It looks like that's done the trick. Interesting that java deactivates automatically if inactive. I didn't know that.

Thank you so much for your help