How to check if you have a keylogger installed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MiataMac, May 14, 2009.

1. MiataMac macrumors member

In Denmark there's an article out that a poker player was cheated for lots of money, because his opponent managed to install some kind of keylogger software on his computer (windows), by physically being around it, that allowed him to also view his poker pocketcards (screenshots I suppose).

How do you check to make sure that you don't have a keylogger or similar, installed on your Mac?

I know you can just make sure not to leave your Mac alone etc., but since there's alot of money involved in online poker, it's nice to be sure once in a while, that you're safe...

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

some would recommend not to play money games on-line

truthfully, I have never heard of a keylogger for osx, but technically it is feasible if one has access to a priviliged account.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Highly doubt you have one, but for your own comfort you can use Little Snitch (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html) to watch traffic on your mac, and block what you don't want. As far as removing if you have one, you need to find out where it is stored, and delete it. :D

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There are keylogger detection software apps out there. I used one once and it worked great. It's been a while though, and I can't seem to find it. If you google "keylogger detectors OS X" or some deviation, you'll eventually find one.

5. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments. I'll give Little Snitch a try and see if Google can come up with some "keylogger detectors" :)

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The most popular OS X keylogger is logKext.

iAntiVirus can pick it up, as well as a few other Mac keyloggers.