Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
hey i just got a 3g iphone but i dont have a sim yet. is there anyway to check the firmware? i cant do it on itunes cuz it wants me to activate it. any other ways? i know there was an old way with *3001.... but it doesnt work. please let me know thanks!

DPA

macrumors 65816
If you can get into the iPhone and it doesn't just say Slide for Emergency and Connect to iTunes to activate then you can go to the About page in Settings>General>About. That will tell you the firmware. Other than that, there is no other way. Unless when you connect to iTunes it shows what firmware it is running and not N/A.

David

doobi18

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, I'd suggest you jailbreak it.

Download QuickPwn, follow the steps, then you will have a fully operational phone that you can check firmware, use as what is essentially an iPod Touch.

Then when you recieve your SIM you can choose to just plug & play (which I would suggest), or if you are one of those paranoid people you could just to a full restore in iTunes to completely remove all evidence if the Jailbreak.

//doobi18

DPA

macrumors 65816
Yeah, I'd suggest you jailbreak it.

Download QuickPwn, follow the steps, then you will have a fully operational phone that you can check firmware, use as what is essentially an iPod Touch.

Then when you recieve your SIM you can choose to just plug & play (which I would suggest), or if you are one of those paranoid people you could just to a full restore in iTunes to completely remove all evidence if the Jailbreak.

//doobi18

Yes.

If you have any problems with the jailbreaking process we are here to help.:)

David

byeehaaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New York, NY
if i wanted to activate it or jailbreak under quickpwn, i have to use the expert mode. what should i select under the first set, build? installer package?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.