How to Check iphone firmware with no sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by byeehaaw, Feb 18, 2009.

1. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

hey i just got a 3g iphone but i dont have a sim yet. is there anyway to check the firmware? i cant do it on itunes cuz it wants me to activate it. any other ways? i know there was an old way with *3001.... but it doesnt work. please let me know thanks!

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If you can get into the iPhone and it doesn't just say Slide for Emergency and Connect to iTunes to activate then you can go to the About page in Settings>General>About. That will tell you the firmware. Other than that, there is no other way. Unless when you connect to iTunes it shows what firmware it is running and not N/A.

David

3. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

all it says is slide for emergency, any way to get past that with no sim?

4. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

how do you activate it with pwnage? do i have to do all those steps with the firmware and such?

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Just follow all the instructions in Pwnage Tool. Make sure you do Expert Mode and leave Activate checked. I don't know if it was fixed or not but there is/was a problem with Pwnage Tool Simple Mode and iPhones. It only worked with iPod Touches.

David

6. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd suggest you jailbreak it.

Download QuickPwn, follow the steps, then you will have a fully operational phone that you can check firmware, use as what is essentially an iPod Touch.

Then when you recieve your SIM you can choose to just plug & play (which I would suggest), or if you are one of those paranoid people you could just to a full restore in iTunes to completely remove all evidence if the Jailbreak.

//doobi18

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Yes.

If you have any problems with the jailbreaking process we are here to help.:)

David

8. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

if i wanted to activate it or jailbreak under quickpwn, i have to use the expert mode. what should i select under the first set, build? installer package?

9. doobi18 macrumors 6502