how to check ipod hard drive for errors fragmentation

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sossity, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I was told this may help me with my issue of songs skipping on my ipod, but are ok in itunes & on my external hard drive.

I notice my other thread has no replies, so I will ask how to check the ipods drive for problems that may causing the skipping songs from particular albums on my ipod.

I am on a 2010 macbook pro i7, snow leopard 10.6.3, with the 7th gen ipod 160 gb classic, bought new, & itunes 10.1.2.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. ZazenZach macrumors member

as of right now, there is no software developed that is capable of doing what you need.

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I plugged in my ipod, & ran disk utility on it to check it & it showed it as ok. But still dont know if this will help with my song skipping problem.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Restore iPod (erases iPod) and re-sync your data back to it.

If under warranty, contact Apple for support.

How old is your iPod? What version? Harddrive based? HD can die after a few years. Sounds like the HD. Whoever told you about defrag is CLUELESS.

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is the 7th gen 160 gb ipod classic, it is hard drive based, model MC297LL, version 2.0.4 Mac, I bought it new from ebay (I know this was probably a mistake) several months ago, it came in the box with everything.

7. bigus7674 macrumors member

My girlfriend's iPod (80GB Video) was having the same problem - only skipping certain songs. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me - I restored the iPod, resynced iTunes..nothing seemed to work. THEN...I came across a thread online somewhere...but basically it said to check the encoding of the songs that are being skipped. Apparently, there are certain encodings that don't "play nicely" with iTunes...so, I found some of the songs that were being skipped, right-clicked the songs in iTunes, saw that the encoding was some "off-brand" encoding, and just converted it to MP3, deleted the old song, resynced the iPod and VOILA! Songs have been playing fine since...I did this about 2 weeks ago now and everything is still working correctly. I'd start there and see if it works for you.

PS - yes, the songs were playing correctly within iTunes, both before and after the conversion.

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

All my albums are encoded in the same lame mp3 encoder, & my other albums are ok, but I will try reconverting the album.