How to check other macbook problems without HD installed.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smnjms, Jul 20, 2010.

1. smnjms macrumors newbie

Hi, ive been lurking these forums for a while now and everyone always seems helpful so i thought id register and join in the fun myself!

My first problem is that of a macbook... 2.1ghz, 1gbram, model no. a1181.

Basically i bought 2 broken macbooks. the idea was to send them off and get them fixed, but the guy who usually sorts them out for me hasnt been in touch for a while, so i thought is try and save some money and bodge it myself.

The macbook im fixing has a broken lcd and the panel around it is also cracked. The other mac display is intact so i figured i could just switch them over, not a problem. The only thing that concerns me is that once i go through the effort of switching them over that it still might not work. as it stands neither macbook has a HD or sled/caddy in it and im wondering if there is anyway of testing the other hardware inside without a HD? both macbooks switch on and the fan runs continuously (no sudden shut down after 5 seconds) however there is no chime and a blank black screen on both. the white power light stays on throughout.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Have you tried inserting an OS disk and booting to it? This may be an easier and cheaper method of checking more hardware. Pick up a copy of Snow Leopard... you'll eventually need it anyway.

3. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

If nothing comes on screen, I would try swapping memory out and checking each stick separately. Or try a known-good stick. If it's not a memory problem you might have 2 dead logic boards which is expensive.