How to check performance of HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DennisMadsen, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DennisMadsen macrumors regular

I really like my iMac 27" medio 2011, but one of the thinks I regret, is that I did not order it with a SSD drive. It is bought with a 1TB SATA Disk.

From the first day, I noticed that the HDD had a must more audible noise compared with my MacBook Pro. I've almost never hear the HDD in my MBP, but the HDD in my iMac is audible when I'm e.g. opening apps, startup etc. Generally I've learned to ignore this noise, but I still think, that this Mac sometimes can take long time to open apps, startup etc.

Are there any method to check the HDD in my Mac? To check if it is performing well. I've peraired disk permissins etc. in the Disk Utility.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can use the following applications to benchmark the speed of your HDD / SSD:

And since the HDD inside your iMac is a 3.5" HDD compared to the 2.5" HDD in your MBP, it is bigger and louder.

3. DennisMadsen, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

DennisMadsen thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the results of running a disk tests using Xbench.

[​IMG]

How does this look? The score for random, uncached write is low for both tests. Why?

4. simsaladimbamba

Those are okay speeds for platter based storage like Hard Disk Drives.
    And the "low" speed for random and uncached is due to the read/write head having to move around, which takes time, thus SSDs are faster, due to no moving parts.

These are my results with my Vertex 2 SSD in my 2007 iMac:
    [​IMG]

PS: Maybe enter a break between the two screenshots, as your post is currently wider as it should be.
    To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.