Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
hello everybody,
My little brother just got a mac and I suspect he's been looking at some adult sites... I would just like to know if there is a way I can check his history/ logs from my Airport extreme network or from my computer?

thanks,
jay

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
You can check a user's Safari history by going to Macintosh HD -> Users -> [Insert User Name] -> Library -> Safari

In that folder, there is a file called History.plist. That's where the History is stored. If he's clearing the History, then this won't help you.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
You won't win points with him for checking up on him. As for checking wirelessly, I think there is a feature for running one computer from another, though I haven't done it as of yet.

Still, either rethink your intentions, of let mom and dad deal with it. If you choose not to involve them, then let the matter drop. ;)

On a windows computer, just check Cookies

joedavis34

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
And for this kids' sake, I hope he uses the "Private Browsing" feature.

I think Apple included that just for adult sites.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Looking at adult material is normal. Long as the kiddo sticks to safe-for-you-and-your-wallet sites like those linked off Fleshbot, everything will be kosher.

risinggr

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015
You can check a user's Safari history by going to Macintosh HD -> Users -> [Insert User Name] -> Library -> Safari

In that folder, there is a file called History.plist. That's where the History is stored. If he's clearing the History, then this won't help you.

That didn't work for me. A website (DNC online) charged $2000 to my credit card and I was trying to confirm that I was not on their site almost a month ago, but the history only goes back a week. There is no library under my user name on my new macbook air (which has Yosemite) BTW, the money is being refunded and I cancelled my card. I have contributed to DNC in the past, but wanted to absolutely rule out that this was not me. Library is on the MacIntosh HD menu along with users, but Safari is not in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.