Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paeza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Canberra, Australia
Hi

I am wondering whether there are any program to check the SSD health or the number of the write cycles on the macbook air? I am a little bit worried about the ssd on my macbook air since it only has 2 Gb ram and the ssd drive will be used as the virtual memory.

Last edited:

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I can't answer your actual question, but I do remember reading about this some time ago when I got my first SSD. The conclusion I came to at the time, was that on the average SSD, you would have to continuously write/overwrite for 10 straight years before the write limits would be reached.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Hi

I am wondering whether there are any program to check the SSD health or the number of the write cycles on the macbook air? I am a little bit worried about the ssd on my macbook air since it only has 2 Gb ram and the ssd drive will be used as the virtual memory.

Just use it and do not let this ruin your experience. Problems might arise in YEARS and not a few days!

Be lucky you did not get my MBA:eek:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I am wondering whether there are any program to check the SSD health...

Tell the SSD to turn its head and cough.:D

Testing the SSD simply adds write/read cycles, why do it? People need to use these devices and enjoy them instead of incessantly worrying about them.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I've had my intel G2 SSD for maybe a year or so, I just ran AJA and got between 116-209 mb/sec reads but only 20-46mb/sec writes.

Apparently it doesn't take long for this to be a problem. When I originally got this SSD it was much faster and i thought recently it seemed slower, but I hadn't tested it until today.

So don't be so blase about SSD performance.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
I can't answer your actual question, but I do remember reading about this some time ago when I got my first SSD. The conclusion I came to at the time, was that on the average SSD, you would have to continuously write/overwrite for 10 straight years before the write limits would be reached.

At this time, I believe the conclusion is that , at least on a Mac, it's a matter of months till most (not all) SSDs have degraded significantly.

Mr. Savage

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
Tell the SSD to turn its head and cough.:D

Testing the SSD simply adds write/read cycles, why do it? People need to use these devices and enjoy them instead of incessantly worrying about them.

Totally agree. I have a friend who purchased an MBP earlier this year and he simply refuses to run the thing on battery power. For example, he will sit at Starbucks etc. doing absolutely nothing for as long as it takes for a seat near a plug become to available. It's infuriating.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
thx so much for all answers. Since this is my first ssd, I am a little bit worried about it.

There's a $40 program called Disktester that will recondition an SSD to speed it up. On my Rev B, I was definitely pulling in lower numbers as the SSD aged, but it was still fairly decent after two years and I had no concerns about data failure.

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
there are some things u can do to help ssd last longer,one is to disable mba hdrive[sys prefs energy saver]from sleeping on bat or power,enable noatime,occasionally do erase free space.disable hibernate,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.