How to check the md5 checksum of a file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DesertFox, Jun 9, 2007.

1. DesertFox macrumors member

Hello,

What is the simplest way to check a md5 checksum of a file? Can it be done in the terminal or is there a nice little app out there somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Terminal can do it with md5 fileName. You can also do a SHA1 checksum with sha1 fileName

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've always thought I had to download additional software for SHA1. And, indeed:

-bash: sha1: command not found

4. brkirch macrumors regular

You need to use openssl md5 or openssl sha1, not just md5 or sha1. You don't need to download anything additional for it. ;)

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

"md5" works by itself, but it looks like it "openssl md5" and "openssl sha1" work too :)

6. DesertFox thread starter macrumors member

7. man and van macrumors newbie

This is how you verify MD5 checksums on Windows
    The Easy Way (digestIT with GUI)

digestIT is a graphical tool that should be easier to use for most Windows users.
    Download digestIT.
    Navigate in Windows Explorer to the directory where you saved/downloaded the OpenOffice.org archive.
    Right click the OpenOffice.org archive file in and select digestIT -> Verify MD5 Hash (or Calculate MD5 Hash).
    If you select "Verify MD5 Hash" then you will be able to copy and paste the MD5 from MD5Sum page (linked to on the latest download page). If the checksums match, you will see: "Digest matches. Verification succeeded."
    If you select "Calculate MD5 Hash" then you will need to visually compare the calculated MD5 with the one listed on the MD5Sum page (linked to on the latest download page).
    man and van hire london
    http://www.ring4van.com

8. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Is there a program for the MAC...since we are a Mac Forum here, that will check the MD5 checksum of a file. I need to check a file before I root my phone and I'm not a huge techie. Thanks! Happy New Year!

9. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

Yes, There is the donationware Hashtab program.

http://www.implbits.com/hashtab.aspx :cool:

Attached Files: