Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The grandparents are buying our 6 year old son an 8GB iPod Touch for Christmas. He's not very tech savvy (doesn't even know what the internet is), but loves playing games on our iPhones. Thus, it will pretty much only be about games, movies, and fun kids apps at this point. However, that being said, I don't want to be naive about the fact that an iPod with iOS5 has the potential for granting him access to all kinds of things.

So, I'd like to get some advice and input about how to best "childproof" the iPod. I know I could simply turn wifi off, but I want other options as well. Can I delete the basic Apple apps like Safari and then restore them later if I want to? Are there any worthwhile safety or lockdown apps out there?

Any suggestions, ideas, or personal experiences would be appreciated. :)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
You have to enable the restrictions in the Settings.
There you can enable and disable many apps.
Also you can define the allowed content based on the ratings, as well as some passwords.

Allow:
Safari
YouTube
Camera
FaceTime
iTunes
Ping
Installing Apps
Deleting Apps

Allow changes:

Allow Content:
Ratings For -> choose country
Music & Podcasts
Movies
TV Shows
Apps
In-App Purchases
Require Password -> time

Game Center:
Multiplayer Games
Adding Friends

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A404 Safari/7534.48.3)

Whatever you do be certain to turn off in app purchases. Some of the free games are slick. They'll say, for example, you earned access to a faster character in some penguin game and next thing you know there's a $10 charge on your card for some penguin upgrade. ;)

I would keep your iTunes set so you always have to enter a password and disable as much of the Internet as you can. Oh a buy an otter box case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.