How to Choose a qualified Case for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nilzi, Aug 12, 2013.

1. nilzi macrumors regular

Many different kinds of iPhone cases flood in the market, such as Pouches, Holsters, Shells, Bumpers, Flip cases, wallets, etc. We use these cases for one cause or another, some people considering use the case so as to protect their devices from smudges, scratches or shattered glass and bent metal, and others think it’s pretty cool for the phone wearing a fashion case. Today, I share my experience on how to Choose a qualified iPhone Case:

1. Material of Case
    In order to keep your iPhone from the scratch, you should consider buying a case which features better toughness, soft touch feeling and appropriate thickness. The case and the phone should fit closely together. Each corner of the case should be smooth and comfortable enough to hold.

2.Do not block the camera
    It is absolutely that a good iPhone case never blocks the camera of the cellphone, and you should also make sure the case will not block the camera’s built-in light, or the photos you get will appear the light spots.

3.Leave Room for the Specific Position.
    You should leave enough room for the specific positions. Firstly, make sure the case can contain the USB port so that you don’t need to take off the case when charging the phone, secondly, the SIM card slot is also an important factor that you must consider. Lots of people previously reported to us that it is a big trouble to make a hole for SIM card slot. In one word, you should make sure the direct external access to all buttons, controls and ports.

4. Do Not Forget the Volume Key
    In order to control the Volume Key easily and conveniently, you should select a case which features the better design on the side part. You can make a judge by pressing the volume key when your iPhone is wearing a case.

Do you guys have any other advice or opinions? Please comment below.....:cool:

2. reiichiroh, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

reiichiroh macrumors regular

-color-fastness. some cases get grimy or their colour wears off. speck cases have their rubber "pill" off after use. their plastic surfaces get scuffed. switcheasy tones white/gray gets grimy.

-lay-on-table lip (lacking in most snapon cases like switcheasy nude)

-whether or not there is shock absorption layer

-whether or not the bottom is dockable (are the top, bottom open or closed?)

-if the cutouts for buttons aren't open sometimes the lightning connector cutout is so small only official cables work (no adapters, no monoprice cables) like spigen armor, switcheasy tones

-sometimes the cutout for the volume rocker is too small or the case is too thick and the indentation is too deep. sometimes the volume/power buttons aren't cut out and impede responsiveness like with the switcheasy nude.

-sometimes the speaker grill reduces volume or distorts it like with the waterproof cases.

-some material like aluminum may impair signal

3. nilzi thread starter macrumors regular

Aluminum case? I havn't seen the aluminum case before.

4. reiichiroh macrumors regular

There are many, many made of aluminium.

One of the earliest "cool-looking" originators is the Element case. Demonstrated in this YouTube video, there are/were reception issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAhtT1yCcmI

----------

Don't know if current phones + aluminium cases exhibit the reception problem anymore.

Also sometimes the headphone jack opening is too small to fit a wide variety of plugs.

These are most of my concerns/issues from owning over 30 iPhone 5 cases and 20 iPhone 3+ 4 cases.

5. stumper macrumors newbie

WTF is a "Qualified" case? Qualified by whom?

Did I miss the memo?

You can buy a case at the Dollar store that works fine. Not sure why spending more than $5 is necessary.

6. reiichiroh macrumors regular

i think he's just commenting on qualities different people play value over others. different strokes for different folks.

another thing to consider is creaking/fit/finish/gaps/easy of removal. gaps may cause loose dust and smaller specks of dirt to fall in and scrape the case.

7. nilzi thread starter macrumors regular

:D great answer!!