How to choose save locations more accurately in programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashjamben, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

so when i'm using word, photoshop, etc and i've finished with a new document i created i want to save it. i click save, and i choose the name and location. now this is when it's abit annoying. i can only choose certain locations to save my new item too, these being my HD, desktop, home, applications and documents. although i have recent places aswell, but there not specific enough. so say i have a folder in my documents folder i want to save it to, i have no way i directly saving it there. or is there?

any help would be appreciated. i'm getting annoyed at having to save files to the desktop, then putting them in the appropriate place.

thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Press the arrow next to the name and it expands to give you more options.

Picture 2.png

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Just push the downward pointing arrow next to where you enter the file name to access a browser.

4. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

seems so simple, yet i was clueless

thanks alot

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

How do I choose where my iTunes downloads go and safari downloads go to? Some safari downloads are 2.1 gb and my internal HDD only has 8 gb left.

thanks,
    ChrisN

6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Check the preferences within each program and you'll find an option to tell it where to put stuff.

PS It is obvious you need an external HD or a much bigger internal HD if you don't have one.