How to clean a white MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HyperMc5, May 24, 2013.

1. HyperMc5 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a white early 2009 MacBook on Craigslist today and I want to clean it. It needs cleaning all over. I have heard that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will work well for the palm rests and that rubbing alcohol works well on the keys. I also need to clean the LCD screen and the outer part (with the light up Apple logo). I would like advice on that. Basically, I'd like to know how to clean the whole exterior, not the interior with parts, properly.

Thanks everyone!

2. beckylynn macrumors newbie

nooooooooooo

Hello !! DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT CAN LEAVE WATER DAMAGE. a magic eraser will leave water damage to the device !!! same with windex. etc. the only thing that you should be using on your devices is certified cleaning supplies from your closest electronic store or RUBBING ALCOHOL !! its the best because it will leave your device clean, and it evaporates quick enough so there will be no damage done!

3. HyperMc5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

4. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

I've used rubbing alcohol wipes (prep pads) that you can get for a fraction of the price of a "certified electronic cleaner" for all of my Mac keyboards, screens, you name it. No problems ever. After going over the screen with a pad, before the alcohol evaporates, use a microfiber cloth so you don't leave spots.

If it's super grubby you might want to open it up and vacuum out whatever nasty grunge has collected in there too, i.e. while you're upgrading the RAM which you will probably be doing.

5. HyperMc5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your awesome advice! I just cleaned my late 2011 MBP with rubbing alcohol and it worked well! I will clean the MB soon too.

I don't know if I'll upgrade the ram, I will just be replacing the dead hard drive.

6. Pinkie Pie, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

The Magic Eraser is perfectly safe for use on the outer casing and will get everything off. Just make sure you squeeze that little sponge out until it's practically dry before you use it. It will be okay! :p

I use a barely-moistened disposable microfiber cloth on the screen and a dry toothbrush to get gunk out of the keyboard and areas like the inside hinge and the screen bezel.