How to clean Alu Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by verveshen, Mar 16, 2009.

1. verveshen macrumors member

I love my macbook just many of you do. Suggestions needed: how to clean Alu macbook? Simply damp cloth or some hints/suggestions?

2. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

screen: microfibre cloth that came with it

everythign else, just a mildly damp cloth i guess, ive only every dusted mine and its been with me since they came out. the screen is easy to clean and you can use products on it as its just glass (actual panel is behind the glass)

3. anthony691 macrumors newbie

I shut just shut it down and wipe it down with a damp paper towel about once a week.

4. eneisch macrumors 6502

I also shut it down and use a microfiber cloth. I spray the cloth with some LCD screen cleaner I got at Staples. I figure if it gentle enough for an LCD screen then it will be fine for the glass screen and aluminum casing of hte macbook. Has worked well thus far.

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

It seems NO MATTER WHAT I use to clean my screen I get white streaks left behind.
    Its almost like I cant stop 'mid wipe', I have to make a full pass across the whole screen and even that at times will leave the white streaks...
    I always use a microfiber cloth and have tried a few different things but I always seems to get streaks left behind.

6. walkum13 macrumors newbie

I had that same problem. I now use a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol....70 cents and work flawlessly (works great on my iphone too)!

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Were you replying to my statement?
    I actually have some isopropyl alcohol, it's 91% tho.. You think it matters??

Next time I clean the screen I will give that a try. It would be awesome if that eliminated my streaking problem!

Thanks.

8. Trix macrumors member

Trix

I think he meant it cost him 70 cents to buy, not the percentage of alcohol it contains. HTH

9. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

HAHA your right I totally misread it! :)

Windex still leaves the streaks..

11. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

1 part white vinegar
    4 parts water

Heard this from an apple store employee, works wonders

12. Odid macrumors regular

Psh, alcohol, windex, iklear? No thanks. I'll just take my paper towel and water. Leaves no streaks, looks like new.

13. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Use hydrofluoric acid. It'll even remove scratches from the aluminium and give you that mate screen you always wanted, too.

14. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Hmm, I've been using Windex exclusively to clean my MacBook for the last 2 months and it seems to work wonders.

I've learned a few tricks back when I was a kid when it comes to cleaning glass. Any cleaning chemical will dry in streaks if you don't wipe them in circular motion. The streak marks are left due to the uneven pressure applied on the glass.

Oh, I almost forgot. As ghetto as this may sound, soak up some newspaper with water and wipe down the glass panel in circular motion. Another trick taught by my grandparents (it works wonderfully).

15. nabechu macrumors 6502

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

That might be my problem! I always wipe horizontally, no reason thats just how I've always done it. Im going to have to give the circle motion a try next time!
    Thanks for the suggestion!

17. RRutter macrumors 6502

I don't understand what you want to clean (sorry if I missed it) was it the actual screen or like the shell of the laptop?

18. skorpien macrumors 68020

I find even if I get streaks across my screen, going over it with a dry microfibre cloth in circular motions gets rid of them. In fact, I just do it out of habit now. Spray some iKlear on the cloth, wipe it across, then go over with a dry spot of the cloth in circles along the entire screen.