How to clean an iMac keyboard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wazzaracer, Jul 11, 2013.

1. wazzaracer macrumors newbie

I stupidly spilt some red bull on my keyboard, now a handful of the keys have got a little sticky, they still work, but feel horrible, I have tried poking the corner of a baby wipe under the key to clean it, it made it better for a while but the sticky key returned, I have googled it and seen various people putting their keyboards under a running tap, anyone tried this or suggest another method of cleaning my keyboard ? Thanks

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Is this the wireless or wired keyboard with num pad? Also, is it an older gen keyboard or the current ones?

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You are pretty much going to have to either live with it or replace it. You're extremely lucky the red bull didn't completely kill it, even water will destroy them. Mixing any liquid and a keyboard usually results in a new keyboard at the owerners expense.

4. wazzaracer thread starter macrumors newbie

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You're hosed, replace it or live with it. Not what you want to hear but unfortunately thats the truth.

6. wazzaracer thread starter macrumors newbie

That's cool thanks for the honesty mate, would rather know the truth ;)
    Will live with it for a bit and see how annoying it gets !

7. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Before you face that truth you might as well water it down just to see what happens. But yes, it is probably hopeless.

8. macthefork macrumors 6502

Don't buy new until you try this.

I don't know if they're anything like older keyboards, but if you're ready to give up on it, this is what I'd do. Take the batteries out and replace the battery cap tightly. Give it a good and thorough rinsing with warm water. Rinse it long enough to remove all that Bull. Let air dry completely. Replace batteries and be amazed that it works just like new.

On older wired keyboards, we used to soak them in hot water to remove coke, coffee with cream and sugar, milk, etc. That usually fixed them, too. This worked more often than it didn't. They're really simple devices that water shouldn't hurt as long as it's dry before using it again. Haven't done it for a few years, now, and don't know what's in the newer Apple keyboards that might prevent this from working.

Some people even place the keyboard in the dishwasher. Here's a MacFixit article that describes exactly this. Do it only as a last resort.

9. wazzaracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well just thought I would update this.
    I couldn't put up with the sticky keys any longer so thought what the hell if I am going to replace the keyboard then I may as well try cleaning it under the tap, and it works fine, took batteries out, rinsed with plenty of clean water and left in a warm place to dry for a few days.

So many thanks for your advice

Warren

10. magilla, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

magilla macrumors regular

11. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

If you are to the point of throwing it away, try putting it in the dishwasher and see what happens. You have to let it dry thouroughly though.

12. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

I did this with an old white perspex Mac Pro keyboard. Put it on the top shelf, keys facing down, shortest cycle, NO detergent, nothing else in the dishwasher. Left it to dry in a warm cupboard for a few days afterwards.

Not only did it work fine, it came out really clean!

But only as a last resort.

13. danwestbrook macrumors regular

danwestbrook

Try the apple cleaning cloth dipped in some water there really good for cleaning bits or by some alcohol based cleaner might stop it being sticky